Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I identify as a young person.

I've been on 3 liveaboards now, and Mike Ball in Australia was the only one that wasn't average age 50! Last few have been explorer ventures, maybe I need to start branching out to different companies.

I love liveaboards but as a person in my twenties I really have nothing to talk about with people in their sixties. I love the alone time but am wondering if there are liveaboards with more people my age or even 30-40?

What everyone said before me is pretty much spot on. It’s economics-based. In general, lower prices will yield lower ages. :) I’m in my early 30’s. If you want to join a liveaboard let me know. I usually try get a group or a few people together and average 2-3 a year. I have plans for 7 to 11 day liveaboards ranging from $1200 for 7 days to $5K for 11 nights in the next 18 months. A good mix.

You just haven't met the right 50 year olds.

True. I meet a lot of interesting people that i keep in touch with. All ages. In fact, I met an older gentleman in Aus in a liveaboard a few years back. He’s 68 now and we are meeting on a liveaboard and traveling with mr OOO and a friend of ours. His wife does not dive and he always traveled as a single paying a single supplement. We chatted a lot and got along great. His wife calls me his dive girlfriend and she likes that he can save some money now but also has a buddy he can “rely” on and to have someone to travel with in a foreign country. We get along well, there are fun conversations! My friend and I are 32, mr OOO is 46.

You’d be surprised what can happen with an open mind. :) Don’t let a number fool you. We had an older couple on a recent LOB and they were in on the jokes and conversations just as much as we were. A lot of fun. People are only as old as they feel and if you start chatting with them you will be surprised how young their spirits are. Don’t forget...we will get there one day. I can only hope a young whipper snapper like me today will talk to me. :wink:

Someone mentioned it earlier but the Red Sea seems to be a good option where the average age seemed quite a bit younger on the liveaboards. Some boats even advertise a party atmosphere at night with dance lighting and stuff in the salon. The Red Sea was the only time where I have witnessed there being an issue with noise and late night partying by the "kids" on the boat. They typically missed breakfast and the first dive of the day

Someone mentioned it earlier but the Red Sea seems to be a good option where the average age seemed quite a bit younger on the liveaboards. Some boats even advertise a party atmosphere at night with dance lighting and stuff in the salon. The Red Sea was the only time where I have witnessed there being an issue with noise and late night partying by the "kids" on the boat. They typically missed breakfast and the first dive of the day

Good to know, thank you!

Would you be kind enough to name those liveaboards so that those of us who like such atmosphere can go on them and those of us who don't can avoid them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom