Liveonboard recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RookieNZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

My friends and I are looking to dive Maldives in September this year and from what we've seen, liveonboard seems to be the way to go (especially based on prices).

This will be our first time in the Maldives and we're wondering if you guys have any recommendations for us. We're all PADI advanced open water divers but none of us have done a liveonboard before.

I have done both, Liveboard and on one island. Liveboard is the way to go IF strong current does not ennoy you too much. To dive in passes can be sporty at times. On the other hand you will see quite a lot of intersting creature.

If you want a cooler approach, then an island me be a better alternative.

Thanks for the tip :) Are there any specific companies/liveonboards that you or anyone would recommend?

I think it depends on your budget and what you want from a boat. There are some nuances that can be annoying (e.g. I like single cabins and hate paying single supplements). Constellation fleet (MV virgo, leo, orion) and explorer ventures (carpe diem, vita, novo) both have nice boats.

I love liveaboards, I don't think you'll regret booking on one.

Try: Emperor Divers Maldives (we're going with them in May);
or Blue O Two (went with them last year, they do prices with flights from England or boat only prices);
or maybe try a diving company like Regal Dive.

Good luck, have a great time.

Hi RookieNZ,

The Maldives is the perfect place for your first liveaboard adventure! Your decision about which boat will come down to several factors. These include your budget, which atolls you’d like to dive and your experience. In general, the Blue Force One, Scubaspa Yang and Scubaspa Ying are all awesome boats.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Happy diving!

We were on the Manthiri last year in the fall and had a great time, really enjoyed it. Great staff, great food, nice rooms, and an amazing dive guide. If we go back, we'll book with them again.

Had a great trip on the Carpe Vita. Best liveaboard boat I have ever been on. The separate dhoni is huge and keeping all the dive gear on there keeps the main boat in great shape.

The way they handle nitrox tank measuring should be done by all liveaboards. 2 crew members work their way around the dhoni boat while the divers are on the dive deck. 1 member measures the tank while you witness. 2nd member fills out the sheet and hands you the pen to sign. Super efficient and convenient.

Here is a video I made from our trip.

Last edited:
That's the way Manthiri is as well. Separate dhoni for all diving and dive gear, and they come around to do nitrox for you as you watch and verify.

Link to photos I took on the trip: 2015 - Maldives Underwater

Great pictures. I'm a video guy, struggling to learn UW photo. It's frustrating. Can't seem to get rid of backscatter and set exposure correctly.

Glad to hear other operators are doing the nitrox tank measuring service. This was the 1st and only time I experienced it having dove on 5 different liveaboards. Hopefully it becomes the new standard.

Back
Top Bottom