Living in Asia on $2500.00USD Per Month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior:
That's why I made the original post. :D

I figured if I started here where everyone has the same adiction I do, it would be the best place to start.

Unfortunately I don't have a target date right now for a trip over or the move, but I'm hoping it will be within the next year.

I hope your plans work out and I hope you keep us all informed on your progress! At one time I considered moving there. But, I met my soon-to-be wife, so those plans were shelved.

I do remember that after a good amount of research, I found some nice places down on the southern side of phuket.

Quarrior:
I'm doing some long term planning and considering moving to either Phillipines or Thailand, or somewhere else in Asia.

I'm wondering if one can live and dive on $2500.00 USD per month. If not, what would be needed?

should be enough to support you, your cat, you new local girlfriend, her extended family incuding distant cousins, their entire home village, and a couple water buffaloes... :wink:

When i went diving in Subic Bay, ran into some interesting American characters. One of them was retired and just living off his pension. I forget the exact numbers he quoted. It wasn't that much, but he lives comfortably and has a nice budget for some frequent diving... :)

Just for the record, all these guys are pulling your leg. Asia is a terribly expensive place to live. In Thailand, a simple meal of rice, a chicken wing and a slice of cucumber will cost about US$25. Cars are out of the question. Even small motorcycles cost about US$40k. Housing? Bring a tent. And Thailand is the cheap place to live. Philippines? Vietnam? Indonesia? Malaysia? Forget it! Don't forget we have zillions of terrorists over here too. You will always be in danger.

note to everyone else: duh! What will happen when all these mid-life rich retirees show up on your doorstep? Let's keep quiet about Asia, okay? :p

Actually my plan is to not live in the "tourist" areas. I want to learn the culture, religion, everything. I'm trying to change my life for what I believe to be a better and more respectful life and culture.

My experiences in Asia have all been positive. Not because of the bars and partying which I did plenty of too. But the people in general. I have always received the respect I gave which is not always the case in the US, in fact to my experience it rarely is the case in the US.

The only reason I asked if I could live on the amount I stated is because I have to be able to survive as I am disabled and cannot work.

Quarrior:
Actually my plan is to not live in the "tourist" areas. I want to learn the culture, religion, everything. I'm trying to change my life for what I believe to be a better and more respectful life and culture.

My experiences in Asia have all been positive. Not because of the bars and partying which I did plenty of too. But the people in general. I have always received the respect I gave which is not always the case in the US, in fact to my experience it rarely is the case in the US.

The only reason I asked if I could live on the amount I stated is because I have to be able to survive as I am disabled and cannot work.

may I also suggest Cebu in Visayas (Philippines also) its modern but not as polluted and congested as Metro Manila. Its at the center of the Visayas region and Visayas is fast becoming the next tourist destination for diving in the country. If you want to experience Filipino culture, it is most alive in the provinces.

Zippsy:
note to everyone else: duh! What will happen when all these mid-life rich retirees show up on your doorstep? Let's keep quiet about Asia, okay? :p

:lol: but, but, but... they do provide such interesting conversation for the locals

how else can we practice "heh joe! cam on ober, joe! yu wana beer, joe?"

hahahahahahahaha

@quarrior: seriously though, that's a whole lot of money for the philippines, especially if you're single... you can have a car, make payments on a condo, go diving and have a (non-dive) life too

decide to retire at PG or Bora? then you'll live like a local don

Jag

pakman:
should be enough to support you, your cat, you new local girlfriend, her extended family incuding distant cousins, their entire home village, and a couple water buffaloes... :wink:
He'd have plenty of time before that would happen though, he might even get two weeks into the relationship first. <I bet he thinks were joking :wink: >

I have lived in Taiwan now for 5 years and travelled all over Asia.....I think you can live just about anywhere in the world for 2500USD/mo as long as its not a metro area. Certainly back in my home town, Pillager, Mn. I could have wife, 2.5kids, house, car and vacation to the "big city" once a year. Probably could dive for some walleye in Gull Lake as well.

Zippsy:
Just for the record, all these guys are pulling your leg. Asia is a terribly expensive place to live. In Thailand, a simple meal of rice, a chicken wing and a slice of cucumber will cost about US$25. Cars are out of the question. Even small motorcycles cost about US$40k. Housing? Bring a tent. And Thailand is the cheap place to live. Philippines? Vietnam? Indonesia? Malaysia? Forget it! Don't forget we have zillions of terrorists over here too. You will always be in danger.

Khao pao & gai tod for US$25 ? Maybe you were talking about your meal at Don Muang. You went to the wrong places dude!

Zippsy:

okay, i missed the bottom part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom