Living in Korea want to dive Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joddie

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
hey ,

im just looking for some info about diving places in japan, im planning to make a trip soon im like 2 hrs away so why not ok what is the cost of diving in japan and how is the diving like?

diving here in korea is good i dive mostley on a island called jeju-do 5-15m vis and water temps around 24C but not much marine life well thanks in advance

Hi joddie,

There are three major diving sites so investigate detail location info by a guide book or a map
1. Izu peninsula (Shizuoka pref.) 120km from Tokyo St.
2. Kii peninsula (Wakayama pref.) 160Km from Osaka St.
3. Okinawa pref. and It's isolated Is. 2.5 hrs from Tokyo/Haneda by Air

guided tour prices w/2 tanks and weights
shore : JPY10.000
boat : JPY20,000

Okinawa is cheaper than mainland

http://www.japantoday.com/

There are also many options for full vacations including hotel, meals and diving in some great packages in Okinawa. Do you have a timeframe for when you are coming down?

Joddie,

Probably half the contributors to this forum are either Izu divers, or associated in some way with with one of the companies that organises dive trips there from Tokyo.

Conditions in Cheju-do are very similar to Izu, except that our water is perhaps slightly warmer, and because of the ocean currents we might have a slightly greater diversity of warm water fish.

Costs for diving are also approximately the same on average as those in Izu, though of course you have to get here first. A budget of approx JPY 50,000 a for a weekend including accomodation and meals is reasonable.

For example (shameless promotion coming up) Mar Scuba has a weekend trip to West Izu on the 4th & 5th of September for JPY 49,000. You can contact Mar on this forum or at www.marscuba.com.

Titan

thanks for all the info. I really dont have a time frame to go to japan but i can go any weekend that there is something going on there. which im sure is all the time so i am very flexible thanks

Titan:
Joddie,

Probably half the contributors to this forum are either Izu divers, or associated in some way with with one of the companies that organises dive trips there from Tokyo.

Conditions in Cheju-do are very similar to Izu, except that our water is perhaps slightly warmer, and because of the ocean currents we might have a slightly greater diversity of warm water fish.

Costs for diving are also approximately the same on average as those in Izu, though of course you have to get here first. A budget of approx JPY 50,000 a for a weekend including accomodation and meals is reasonable.

For example (shameless promotion coming up) Mar Scuba has a weekend trip to West Izu on the 4th & 5th of September for JPY 49,000. You can contact Mar on this forum or at www.marscuba.com.

Titan

Hmmmm! Cheju-do! Was this the Island that mostly Chinese POW's were kept during the Korean War? I was on Kogi-do (SP?) and Younche do (SP?) and did some snorkeling there in '51. I also noted that there were fisherman making money catching sharks. :eyebrow:

6Gill:
Hmmmm! Cheju-do! Was this the Island that mostly Chinese POW's were kept during the Korean War? I was on Kogi-do (SP?) and Younche do (SP?) and did some snorkeling there in '51. I also noted that there were fisherman making money catching sharks. :eyebrow:

well now you have got me i really dont know about the island at all except diving im sure its probably the same place i guess i should check into that huh! as for sharks i havent seen any matters of fact the biggest fish ive seen is maybe 15lbs or so

i think they dont have time to get big before they get caught here...if it moves it gets eaten here

Okinawa is very easy to get to from Seoul. There are several nonstop flights weekly on Asiana Airlines. The diving there is spectacular.

im planning a trip soon and thanks to everyone for the help

Summer is about to end and Okinawa is still beautiful and warm. When I was in the US Marines, Okinawa was an amazing place to dive. That was years ago and to this day I want to get back into the blue water over there. The English speaking shop I went to was called Reef Encounters in Kin by Camp Hanson Gate 1. Great instruction, safe, and they were cool guys to hang out with (no stress, no bad attitudes, etc...). All of Japan is great, but give Okinawa a try. Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom