LOB - Komodo, Raja Ampat, or Transit special?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRM-TX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, long time lurker, new account. Great discussions & photos here. Now in early stages of Nov.2018 trip planning, probably liveaboard. The leading options are ...
* Mermaid2, Bali - Komodo - Bali, 7nts, 20 dives, $2400
* Raja Ampat Agressor, Sorong-Sorong, 10nts, 36 dives, $4700
* Mermaid2, Transit special trip Maumere to Sorong, 15 nts, 50 dives, $5200.
Have been to N.Sulawesi 3 times in the early 2000's, Bunaken & Lembeh mostly, really enjoyed the diving at both places. Also made a trip to Bali with Some diving back in early 1990's.
For this trip am looking for healthy corals & lots of reef fish, drifts, walls, muck and critters would be nice but not the focus, anything else a bonus. The sensory overload with top shelf Indo reefs is what I'm after, the people on Scubaboard get it.
Bali & Komodo would be easiest and least expensive, probably follow up the LOB with a week onshore. R4 is expensive and takes a while to get there, but people rave about the diving so am very curious. And for a little more money, could do the transit from Maumere to Sorong, just wow.
Thanks in advance for comments & ideas.

Easy.
1.)Transit... Maumere to Sorong (Alor, Forgotten Islands, Banda Sea and part of Raja :yeahbaby:)
2.)Raja (not that hard to get too)
3.)Komodo (starting in Bali for a 7nt does not give you enough time to really enjoy Komodo.)

Last edited:
I've done 2 Komodo trips on the MM2 in November and they were awesome. Their itinerary does have some muck dives in and out of the park. Adding some time in Bali and head up to Tulamben for some critter diving would be easy peasy. The nice thing about Komodo in November is its less crowded as most LOBS are moving or moved to RA.

Crossing trips are awesome too! I did one in Nov 2015 and it's a great time to see Hammerheads. The one I did went from Ambon thru Banda Sea to Missol which is definitely my favorite part of RA.

RA is awesome too! Simply amazing.
You really can't go wrong with any of your choices now that I've not really helped.

Easy.
1.)Transit... Maumere to Sorong (Alor, Forgotten Islands, Banda Sea and part of Raja :yeahbaby:)
2.)Raja (not that hard to get too)
3.)Komodo (starting in Bali for a 7nt does not give you enough time to really enjoy Komodo.)

That's how I would rate them too. I did the #3 with Mermaid I for 10nt. 7nt is too short.

I've done 2 Komodo trips on the MM2 in November and they were awesome. Their itinerary does have some muck dives in and out of the park. Adding some time in Bali and head up to Tulamben for some critter diving would be easy peasy. The nice thing about Komodo in November is its less crowded as most LOBS are moving or moved to RA.

Crossing trips are awesome too! I did one in Nov 2015 and it's a great time to see Hammerheads. The one I did went from Ambon thru Banda Sea to Missol which is definitely my favorite part of RA.

RA is awesome too! Simply amazing.
You really can't go wrong with any of your choices now that I've not really helped.

I've been to RA 5 times, but still want more :D

But I haven't been to Ambon, nor Banda Sea. So, my Ambon-Sorong crossing trip is this coming November. Can't wait to see the wall of hammerheads in Banda Sea. :D

I have done RA with Mermaid I three times and a crossing trip with Mermaid I once.

If it were me, I would rate RA above a crossing trip - more time diving in the BEST place in the world. The crossing has more boat traveling time, and you do see different areas, most not as good as RA and the chances you will see wall of hammerheads are nearly the same as if you stay home.

But both are great, and I don't know anything about the Aggressor.

- Bill

I have done RA with Mermaid I three times and a crossing trip with Mermaid I once.

If it were me, I would rate RA above a crossing trip - more time diving in the BEST place in the world. The crossing has more boat traveling time, and you do see different areas, most not as good as RA and the chances you will see wall of hammerheads are nearly the same as if you stay home.

But both are great, and I don't know anything about the Aggressor.

- Bill

I agree about the travel time, lots of all night crusing.
And RA is epic! Upon surfacing at my first dive a Boo Windows I exclaimed OK I can die now knowing that I've seen this.

Didn't you do a spring crossing trip?
Fall is much better for Hammers as I've been told. We saw loads of them in November.

Hi all. Thanks for all the great comments & suggestions. Am leaning towards the crossing trip, it sounds like an epic journey. Just sent Mermaid an email asking for more info.

Any suggestions on flights? At the start, Mermaid recommends getting to Bali and then local flight to Maumere. At the end in Sorong, assume getting back to Bali for isn't a problem, Garuda shows SOQ - DPS flights via UPG. How about the one way tickets, price gouging vs R/T, or is Garuda decent about it? Plenty of time to plan, won't be able to book Nov.2018 flights for a few more months.

Really looking forward to getting back to Indonesia after a 13 year gap.

Compliments to Cali_diver on the outstanding photos.

Compliments to Cali_diver on the outstanding photos.
Thank you!

You really can't go wrong with whatever you choose!

Flying through Makassar UPG is really easy.. nice airport with cheap lounges, or an airport hotel for long layovers and a Starbucks with wifi for short layovers. Personally, I usually have the LOBs book the domestic tickets. They always seem on top of the scheduling and changes. Not sure about Mermaid, but the LOB's I have used also helped with changes and emergency changes. I paid dearly the one time I booked them myself. I watched everyone else take off at scheduled time only to find out my flight had been cancelled/ rescheduled.

Any suggestions on flights? At the start, Mermaid recommends getting to Bali and then local flight to Maumere. At the end in Sorong, assume getting back to Bali for isn't a problem, Garuda shows SOQ - DPS flights via UPG. How about the one way tickets, price gouging vs R/T, or is Garuda decent about it? Plenty of time to plan, won't be able to book Nov.2018 flights for a few more months.

Flights schedules from Bali, Maumere, Sorong, Ambon, et al have been discussed at length at SB. Since Mermaid is recommending flights, that might be your path if least resistance. Do not be surprised for last minute changes for the flights. I am confused about your comments on price gouging and one-way tickets, can you give us some background?

Back
Top Bottom