Lobos later this week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are thinking of heading up to Monterey (Lobos) for a couple days of diving later this week. It looks like the swell model is predicting up to ~10ft outside the bay...what does that mean for Lobos?

If it were you, would it be worth the drive? FWIW, we've dived Lobos a number of times and are familiar with the area. We're okay with somewhat limited vis but definitely don't want to make the drive if we're going to get blown out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nicole

My husband and I are thinking of heading up to Monterey (Lobos) for a couple days of diving later this week. It looks like the swell model is predicting up to ~10ft outside the bay...what does that mean for Lobos?

If it were you, would it be worth the drive? FWIW, we've dived Lobos a number of times and are familiar with the area. We're okay with somewhat limited vis but definitely don't want to make the drive if we're going to get blown out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nicole

I was thinking of heading up there myself later on Thursday but the swell model caught my attention as well.

You guys probably won't get blown out with 10 ft, but I can say from experience that when it was ~15ft on the models it was definitely surgy and limited viz in the cove.

I need to go diving to, its been a month now LOL. I'm going to Maui in a few weeks though.

Weren't you there a couple years ago, when some of us wound up going for a hike? Heck it was over New Years in 2010. Many of the SoCal crew jumped in the water and went diving. It was over my maximums, but I am perfectly happy hiking.

I live three hours away from Lobos, and wouldn't bother to make the drive with the current forecast. Usually if it is over 8ft I don't make the drive. On the other hand we have driven from the Breakwater to Carmel in 14 ft swells and had great dives. Wind is the real killer. The forecast for this week, into the weekend calls for swells and wind, which do not look good. Are you prepared to drive that far and not dive?

Weren't you there a couple years ago, when some of us wound up going for a hike? Heck it was over New Years in 2010. Many of the SoCal crew jumped in the water and went diving. It was over my maximums, but I am perfectly happy hiking.

I live three hours away from Lobos, and wouldn't bother to make the drive with the current forecast. Usually if it is over 8ft I don't make the drive. On the other hand we have driven from the Breakwater to Carmel in 14 ft swells and had great dives. Wind is the real killer. The forecast for this week, into the weekend calls for swells and wind, which do not look good. Are you prepared to drive that far and not dive?

Hah, yeah, I was part of the socal group who went in on a pretty iffy day. That said, we had already committed the time and effort to get there and it was our first trip up there. This time, we haven't committed to anything and actually have back-up plans (in socal)...so it sounds like we'd probably be safer to stick around here and head up to Lobos another time.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I went yestereday and we had unusually good conditions. Visibility below ~60fsw was at least 50', probably more. One person in my group remarked that he could see the surface clearly from 65'. The water was definitely blue; not green. My computer recorded the coldest it has hit in a long time: 46F. That was only for a brief instant and only in one spot--in the sand just to the north of Seamount. Most of the time I was showing 48F, which is still brisk.

Going into the weekend, I noted that the reservations page showed Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week were all "blocked". Then sometime over the weekend they removed the "blocked" notation for Monday, and we had to call to be sure it wasn't a mistake. And there it was: great conditions on a long weekend and yet zero dive teams registered! So we swooped down and got it. There was only one other dive team there all day.

Bruce

Hope you're at Peace with your decision to stick around here this weekend. :wink:

I see what you did there :D

Should be a great weekend regardless...now we have time to do other fun things that couldn't have been done with the original plan, so I'd say we're at/on Peace :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom