Lobster Hunting Gloves? California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are great, they really level the playing field.

California Spiny Lobster don't have claws:

Californiaspinylobster.jpg

Is there an update for current sources of decent gloves for lobsters ...
The ones I've been using for the last 4 years or so can't handle any more patches and today I destroyed several fingers in both hands.

The thing is they were so wore out i cant tell the brand. I know they were cheap and originally thought they would be trashed in a few dives but they lasted .
Had double leather in palm and finger tips nothing special in the top.

Anyways... I'll use work gloves for the next dives but would love to find something more durable. Any suggestions?

Now I feel like a real idiot, I've always just used the 5mm dive gloves I always use. Maybe an older pair with Aquaseal patches, but nothing special.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ana
I alternate between the gloves that I had listed previously, to these, from OriStout, which are nitrile-covered, shucking gloves -- great dexterity and a bit warmer than the others:

Is there an update for current sources of decent gloves for lobsters .. Any suggestions?
If you bug hunt enough, you're going to have to stick your hand in a couple of holes.

That's why you need to always use the best equipment available ( & not always the most expensive)
We use Hex Armor 9013 which are hospital trash gloves that have level 5 protection against hypodermic needles that can't stab thru the palms. They have a nitrile coating for really good grip, but not so much to snag, just the right amount. It takes just one dive to make the palm soft and then it's easy and soft to make a grip. I grab alot of lobster and lionfish and my gloves last about 250 dives and then I change them out because the rubber coating starts to wear thin and the gloves are cheap to replace. You can find them all over the internet for sale at different prices.

Search Amazon for ... HexArmor 9013

HexArmor9013.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Ana
Is there an update for current sources of decent gloves for lobsters ...

Suggestions should be qualified based on water temperature. You won't need the same glove in Florida as Maine — Mediterranean as Norwegian fjords for our European friends.

Suggestions should be qualified based on water temperature. You won't need the same glove in Florida as Maine — Mediterranean as Norwegian fjords for our European friends.
True, i realize this thread is from California but I was 95% sure that @Johnoly would see it and share his knowledge, so no need to starts a new thread.
Also sometimes even if the item is for cold water it may work in S. Florida. These days the water is stupid cold for me, so I keep the gloves on , in the summer once the lobster is in the bag the gloves come off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom