Lobster poaching starts early

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what it looks like to have a hundred footer bearing down on you in your 8 knot sailboat at 20 knots of closing speed, but if you'd just had your radio on, none of this would have happened.

Global you for sailboaters.
That's presumptuous. The last time I rented a boat (a few months ago) it did not have a radio. It was only a 24' deck boat. Rented from islandmarinerentals.com if it matters.

That's presumptuous. The last time I rented a boat (a few months ago) it did not have a radio. It was only a 24' deck boat. Rented from islandmarinerentals.com if it matters.
I know, right? I mean, who would ever expect to have a device for calling other folks for help, getting calls from dive boats when you don't notice their flags, or calling for sea tow when out of gas. Cause that never happens.

.. I don’t have the heart to take them when I’m underwater.....

At your next morning office department meeting, skip bringing donuts and instead show up with chilled lobster chunks.
You will have achieved office 'ROCK-STAR' status the rest of the week..........guaranteed!

At your next morning office department meeting, skip bringing donuts and instead show up with chilled lobster chunks.
You will have achieved office 'ROCK-STAR' status the rest of the week..........guaranteed!
Oh I’d be right in there eating them... they are yummy! I just ate lobster roll the other day from Twin Lobsters. But I have a hard time looking into their beady little eyes and killing them. Compassion overload I guess.

Oh I’d be right in there eating them... they are yummy! I just ate lobster roll the other day from Twin Lobsters. But I have a hard time looking into their beady little eyes and killing them. Compassion overload I guess.
I like to look at their little faces when I put them in the pot tail first.

@kelemvor

"Unfortunately, you're mistaken. I've got a thread on SB somewhere on this topic. There are several flaws to our dive flag laws.

Firstly, only divers and professional captains with a captains license tend to have any idea what either kind of diver down flag is (US red/white or the blue/white other one). We're a tourism driven state and requiring training would deter tourists from renting boats... you get the idea. Visiting boaters tend to drive over to a dive flag to see what they are. Jet ski renters use them as slalom poles to race around. Some divers (not me) consider a dive flag to be a bigger risk than not having one and choose to ignore the law.

Second, penalties for getting caught is something like a $25 fine.. that's it. I'll have to look it up, but it's so pathetically small as to be only a minor inconvenience for anyone but the lowest of income families. There's no jail time, and it's not going to get you a record. Basically, it's a law that has no teeth.

Third, it's something that is only typically enforced as a "secondary" offense. If you run over a diver who had a flag, you're going to get fined $25 in addition to lawsuits or whatever else comes of it. If nothing happens, law enforcement isn't going to chase down a tourist who got too close to a flag and kept going. If you got targeted for an inspection and so happened to be too near a flag you might get a citation. I don't think LE considers it to be a very big deal.

I had been trying to organize a group to post informative signs at boat docks, but I kind of dropped the ball. I need to get a thousand or so printed and laminated.

Good dive boat captains tend to run interference in order to fend away other boaters from groups of divers, so at least we've got that going for us. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
$25.00 Florida dollars?
The fine dose not match the offense .

you stated
I had been trying to organize a group to post informative signs at boat docks, but I kind of dropped the ball. I need to get a thousand or so printed and laminated.

Had Been ??? What happened ?

Such a group is certainly needed in your waters

SDM

kelemv

Heck we have boat operators who proceed right into the roped off dive park here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom