Lobsters, dive boats and early August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can't make the early lobster season but I do have vacay time at the beginning of regular season. I am wanting to do some lobster hunting, I am in Sarasota but I hear we just are not good for that sort of thing. I was thinking driving over to Ft. Lauderdale or wherever and trying my luck. So, does anyone know a dive shop or operation that does this sort of thing?

In Southeast Florida, you can lobster hunt off just about any charter boat north of the Keys. Some of the Keys boats will also go to sites outside the protected zones but you have to call ahead to make sure that's the case. On most dives in Jupiter, which I did with Jupiter Dive Center, I'd usually came back with a couple of bugs and I'm a casual hunter. Really focused divers limit out much of the time. One thing to note in Palm Beach County, bugs normally are found in ocean topography that isn't very pretty. So if you aren't finding bugs in the normal hiding places or just pulling out shorts, you won't be able to have the pleasure of a beautiful reef dive.

I've also had luck on Pompano's shallow reef line with South Florida Dive HQ.

The best site I've hunted on in the upper Keys is Conch Wall. It's a deeper reef that doesn't get hit by many charters all that often. Conch Republic Divers hits the reef semi-regularly.

... So, does anyone know a dive shop or operation that does this sort of thing?

Just be sure the CALL THE BOAT and ask before making your reservation. If you are coming to specifically lobster hunt, you won't want to be on a trip that is planning a wreck dive that trip. Many boats will say "We make the decision where to go > that morning"(which doesn't help you after a 3 hr drive over). Best to call and know before you go.

you could beach dive all along the Broward coast A!A such as Vista park, Hollywood and of course LBTS.

Stuart Scuba runs boats from Jupiter and Palm Beach. Give the shop a call (772-600-8288) and ask about lobster trips. Outside of wreck or tech days, lobster hunters are always welcome! We did well on day one of mini-season as the crew has some less traveled spots picked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom