Loc Line &GoPro: Build my own light arms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chip Elliott

Connecticut Yankee
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been researching this for a few days with no real answers, and I was hoping some of the experts can help.

I know I can save quite a bit of money by making my own Loc Line arms, but where can I find the other "bits and pieces" such as the 1/4 x 20 end to attach to handles, the end to put a small LED torch/flashlight on, etc? I have found some online but they are really pricey (like $20 each for an end).

If it's not possible I know I can just buy the arms with a tray (I'm leaning towards the Snake River tray)

Thanks!

Reef Photo has some of the specialty ends but it's pricey. There's some on Leisurepro.com also but they're just re-selling the Light and Motion line so it's pricey also. You can also find most of the pieces on eBay.

Loc-line is actually an industrial solvent system so many of the parts are available from their dealers also - or possibly a place like Grainger's if you have one nearby. It's also popular with aquarium hobbyists. Even Walmart sells if if you don't care about the color. Modular Hose sells the complete line online. If you're going to be changing hose lengths - get the pliers...

On the tray end, look for a "Fixed Base" - most of them are solid and flat on the bottom so you just drill thru it and use a non-corrosive bolt/nut. You're trying to build this at a lower cost: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-lmtllmk...id^183054522073-sku^LMTLLMK@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

It's been a few years but I believe this is one: (2) Fixed Mounts for 3/4" Loc-Line® USA Original Modular Hose System #60533 | eBay

Depending on the lights, it's either proprietary or a standardized YS fitting that many use. That may be the toughest thing to source - I see them but they're $15-25.

If they're not very wide, a couple companies make a holder like this one: http://www.divervision.com/image/ca...ht_Adapter_for_Loc-Line_1-2inch_1-600x600.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Steve. You have confirmed what I think I have learned. You can get the arms less expensive, but by the time you add all of the "peripherals," it's just as pricey as getting them with the camera tray.

On the light end, I've just usually used hose clamp, unless I happen to have the proper adapter around.

_R

I basically made my own tray out of a think slab of aluminum ( I think it was 1/16, I dont remember) which I bent and drilled holes in for screws. wasn't to hard and since my father had that aluminum piece laying around it fit fine! I used a piece as shown in the image below to connect the loc line wih that base plate. using a bolt a nut and a washer. The piece that connects to the light came with my sola 1200 video I purchased. which I bolted on to the piece shown on the second image. (i drilled a hole in it. To be sure that the light is solidly in place I attached a steel cable to the base plate and fished it through the lock line and tied to the sola attachment piece.

loc-line-loc-line-fixed-mount-for-3-4-id-system-1_large.jpg

202756-End-Cap-Loc-Line-Fitting-a_1.jpg

considering I didnt have to pay for the aluminum slab it cost me a 25 CAD$ ish and half a day of fiddeling. I would show the final product, but its over 600km away right now at my parents home. (the light may belong to me but the casing actually belongs to my father, so I left the arm with him)

Back
Top Bottom