Local Dive Site Maps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bclancey

Registered
Reaction score
Are there are online topographical maps for the local dive sites -- such as Whytecliffe and Porteau Cove -- which would help newbie OW divers get their bearings underwater?
My son and I are planning to do our practice dives at those locations and we want to work on navigation. Having some kind of map with features that we could aim to navigate to would be a great help.

At Porteau there is a basic map at the stairway leading to the water. It details some of the features and depth of the site. I'd recommend going with someone who knows the site though. :)

IMO, Whytecliff might be a good area if you dive on the 'starfish wall' no further than the daymarker. Less than 60' bottom with a rockwall to your right. Should be ok to navigate away from the wall and back toward it. Some cool sea anenimies (sp?) and rockfish out by edge of the wall at about 50'.

I'm actually hoping to go back there this weekend to try out my drysuit :)

Have fun.

Bjorn

Thanks. I recall the map at Porteau Cove.
We did our OW dives at the two locations . . . but that does not mean we know much about what is under the water. As they say in navigation section of the AOW book, one is simply amazed at how the DI can take us swimming around under water and end up in roughly the same place as we started.
I would like to get there this weekend as well . . . but we are tiling our bathroom floor this weekend. Not only might I not finish on Saturday, I am waiting for my son to get done with a lingering cold. If I were, I would be shooting for Sunday.

Yup, the sailboat is still there.

Back
Top Bottom