Local Grinds - the chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone been to Nobu? Sounds like Sushi Bistro Shun is a winner and may have to check it out when I'm over in June instead, but I did get a little excited to see a Nobu in Waikiki.

Not everyone. Ryan's is still there.

Same difference... I think you're right. I didn't eat at Nobu's, but I eat out a lot. My friend who went there (and I trust with Japanese food) said it wasn't all that.

Recently, I like Tsukuneya for Japanese.

Both are on Kauai and Oahu: for well priced, TRUE local grinds, you have to try L&L Drive Inn- I recommend the BBQ mix plate: DA KINE!! Also, the Shack is wonderful. Original is in Hawaii Kai, but there are a few locations on Oahu, and one in Kapa'a on Kauai. And of course, the original Roy's, the first in the world, is in my hometown of Hawaii Kai!!

Enjoy,

Devon

We've had some excellent dinners at Roy's in Hawaii Kai (my neighborhood too) and had some remarkably mediocre ones as well. All at the same $$$ level of course. Guess it varies with who is cooking that day? I dunno, but the one we used to go to in Waikoloa was always outstanding, though we were only there on vacations back when.

These days we prefer Blue Water Grill by the Shack. Similar cuisine to Roy's, but quieter, and much cheaper.

I was recently on Oahu for a week long meeting and noticed 2 things:

• It looks like the New Kapahulu Chop Suey is no longer??? It was was no longer at 730 Kapahulu Ave
  • What I did find though during my search was Ono Hawaiian Foods at 726 Kapahulu Ave which is a true jem. Very friendly folks and fantastic local Hawaiian food.

Back
Top Bottom