Local Grinds - the chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had the chance to go to Fromaggios for lunch today - This is our take on it.

Lucky for us the food made up for the rude and poor service. Took some time to be seated, took some time to get our beverage. When placing the order the server rolled her eyes at our choice. Not once did she come to ask if we wanted to order another beverage after our first glass was empty. She wanted to take away my plate before I was done, when I asked her not to she turned away - very odd behavior.

Now for the good stuff. What we ordered tasted very good. They offer an extensive wine list, something for every one. The menu hosts a nice variety of interesting foods that might make it very much worth another trip.

Last edited:
2 of the 3 Mexican restaurants in Kailua:

We enjoyed one, not so much the other.

Mexico Lindo 4 of 5 stars

Service was prompt and the food was tasty. Our beverages were refilled like clock work. I really liked the Kalua Pork Taco I ordered. Hubby had a HUGE Burrito and together we enjoyed a nice flan. We were there around noon and didn't have an issue with parking - got lucky, the strip mall is usually really busy.

Los Garcia's 1 of 5 stars

It was a pretty muggy day so we sat out on the Lani. Even with all the greenery, it was very hard to ignore the fact that you were directly on the road. They get one star because traffic is beyond their control.
When we got there, there were about 6 tables occupied and it still took longer than 5 minutes give us a menu. The table was rocking like a California Earthquake, making it kind of hard to eat. Mine was so bland that I didn't even eat it. Not going back

Fish Hopper

In Kona, located on Ali'i Dr across from the sea wall, nice view of the pier and harbor. Menu is typical Kona/Hawaiian fusion style: pupus, fish, meat, pasta, etc. Apparently part of a chain with Alaska and California locations. Were told they had revamped the Kona menu to feature more local style food/fish and appeal to locals as well as tourists. Alaskan Halibut is flown in daily.

Went armed with a coupon for a free pupu, chef's choice. Coupon came from signing up for their "VIP" club online. Turns out the choice was fried Calamari. Outstanding stuff, and something I would have ordered anyway.

Asked for the kama'aina menu we heard about, locals only, and all choices on it are $14.95 for a three course dinner: soup/salad, entree, dessert. Usually never order dessert, but what the hell. You can see the menu online if you look for the "Early Bird" menu. I had Shrimp and Scallop Risotto, wife had Sand Dabs. Both were excellent, as was the presentation. Not reduced rations at all either. FWIW, Mon and Tue are surf and turf night, prime rib and lobster for $19.95.

Their Clam Chowder was the hit of the dinner. Possibly the best we ever had. We could make a meal out of pupus and a bowl of that chowder. Don't miss it.

We left stuffed, total with a decent bottle of wine was a little over $50. Cannot beat that for a full dinner in Kona. Highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom