Local Laws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDivingBear

Registered
Reaction score
This may have been asked before and I missed it in my search.

I know that in the OW dive training, they talk about getting local orientations. Is this where one would find out about local dive laws?

For example, I asked my Dive Instructor about diving in two of the local resevoirs and he said that it was illegal. I was suprised. I thought that with the dive floats and flags, that we could dive anywhere within our limits and with safety (I would not want to dive next to say, Hoover Dam).

Peace,

Bear

Networking, local dive shops, clubs, a paid orientation,, and rsearch are all ways to glean do's and dont's as well was laws.

For instance here in Maine we do not need to fly a dive flag, In neighboring NH we do for fresh water. However in my home town there is a pond where the association will give you an earfull if you dive without a flag.

Pete

In mass you need to fly a dive flag no matter what as far as I know...

TheDivingBear:

I know that in the OW dive training, they talk about getting local orientations. Is this where one would find out about local dive laws?

For example, I asked my Dive Instructor about diving in two of the local resevoirs and he said that it was illegal. I was suprised. I thought that with the dive floats and flags, that we could dive anywhere within our limits and with safety (I would not want to dive next to say, Hoover Dam).

Peace,

Bear
Off the coast of Chicago are a number of water intakes for the municipal water system. Dive near one of them and you'll end up in hot water, if you'll forgive the pun. It's a security thing (insane bombers and such) and I suspect that the same thinking applies to diving in your reservoir.

Local briefings should cover the specifics of the actual dive site and some generalities but aren't going to cover the details of every dive site in the area. Stay away from nuclear power plants, municipal water supplies and get permisssion before diving on private property and you'll probably avoid a trip to the hoosegow.

TheDivingBear:

Exactly. In Tahoe, they are really stringent about having your flag/float with you at all times. This year especially for some reason. There is also a cool lake in the area that is not diveable at all, since it is on tribal land. Boating and fishing are fine, but they don't want divers. You probably wouldn't know it, if you simply arrived at the shore and walked in, but you would find out when you visited a dive shop.

FWIW.

a common rule at least around here is that if swimming is allowed, diving should be allowed. That's assuming you have access to the water to begin with of course. It's somewhat common for diving/swimming and even boating to be restricted in some water supply reservoirs, some do some don't - you just have to look for signs or ask around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom