Local LDS in Maryland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icedraco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am been using Atlantic dive shop since I got my cert. I was wondering if anyone knew of any better priced, friendly, and attached to local dive clubs.

Can't help with Maryland - but Patriot Scuba in Occoquan, VA, which is not too far* south of Silver Spring, has a dive club. (I recently joined it and they seem like a fun group of people.)

There are a bunch of dive shops in MD and NoVA, if you're willing to drive a bit. There is one in Columbia, and one or two in Gaithersburg/Rockville. I think there are two in Annapolis, maybe one in Frederick and one or two in B'more. Of the MD shops, I've only been in the one in Columbia, though and that was a long time ago. There's the SPE Dive School in Chevy Chase, but I'm not sure there's an actual shop associated with the school.

There are a couple of shops in DC that are probably closer to you than any of the other MD shops. Blue Planet is fairly new and seem to have nice people though I haven't actually been in the shop. The "National Diving Center" in DC has some stuff though I don't think it's a large store. My experience is primarily with the NoVA dive shops and they are all over from Alexandria out to Chantilly (Dulles) and they're all quite decent from what I've found. Only one Tech shop in the area (if you're into that) and they are in Manassas. A bunch of the other shops will order tech gear but may not have the actual experience when you need questions answered.

In my experience, most of them carry lines that have minimum advertised pricing - you're not going to see price stickers below MAP for many things due to this. My suggestion is when you're looking for something specific (like your major gear), do your research to find what you're looking for -either a specific brand/model, or specificiations (e.g. a 7mm full suit, or a mid-range regulator set) and shop around - do your research to know what you can do pricing wise online, then see who will offer you the best deal on the sale *and service* - both pre and post sale.

If the retailer lets you try stuff on, or even better try things out in the pool, that should count for something. Ask if they can do better on pricing if you know you can save a bunch going elsewhere - many times they can move a little - possibly not matching "the internet", but factor in convenience (for you) and the service they've provided. If you're buying multiple pieces, most can put together a package deal that will bring the overall cost down (in my case, when we bought Regs and BC's, as a package with some cylinders, we basically paid MSRP for the Regs/BCDs, but the cylinders were basically free)

I'm not sure what's down that way, but if you're willing to drive north a bit there's a few up this way:

Brass Anchor (Frederick)
Undersea Outfitters (Finksburg)
AquaVentures (Cockeysville)
Underwater Playground (Edgewood)
Diver's Den (Parkville)
(I'm sure there's others I've missed - I didn't intend to exclude anyone on purpose!)

In reality, you'll find that your car just keeps ending up at dive shops and you find yourself wandering around any that you past "just looking" :)

I don't know where in Maryland you are, but my husband and I are taking the OW class through Sea Colony in Severna Park.
Their price for the class was a little lower than the shops in the area, and so far everyone has been great! I don't know if they have a 'dive club' but they do have trips planned throughout the year that you can sign up for.

want to biggyback on this post, Mom got a beach cabin west of prince frederik and am bringing my sailboat and dive gear down next week. Any place nearby to fill tanks? Or are the conditions going to be the sort to make me not want to fill them?

Back
Top Bottom