Local Training, Cert. Dives at a Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dae

Reaction score
If this has been discussed lately, my apologies. I didn't notice it while browsing thru some the archives here.

I'm now looking for a good local dive shop to get my OW training. Assuming I find a place I want to get my training at, and assuming scheduling works out right (lots of assumptions I know) - is there a consensus regarding getting the classroom and pool training done locally and doing the final dives for certification thru a "referral" at another location (lets use... hmmm, the Bahamas as an example :))

I won't choose a place for training based solely, or even partly for that matter, on getting it done before I go to the Bahamas this February. But I'm wondering if it is really a standard thing to do. Or, would I be much better off waiting a couple months untill the local waters warm up a little and doing the certification dives (is that the correct term?) with the place I took the training from?

Hope all of that was clear!

Currently, five agencies participate in the Universal Referral Program, which lets you finish up just about anywhere after you've done your classroom and pool work near home. They are SSI, IDEA, NAUI, PDIC, and YMCA. (You may still find reference to NASDS, who merged with SSI three years ago).
Rick

:teach:

Referrals are very common, especially in the winter months.

My vote is to do the academics and pool before heading to warmer waters for the open water certification dives.

Most agencies have provisions for making and receiving referrals, including referrals between different agencies. Just ask at your local dive center.

My wife and son did their classroom and poolwork during the winter months last year. Then they did their C-dives on our vacation to Grand Bahama last April. That way they weren't losing vacation time in a classroom, and they got to do their dives in warm water with good visibility. They were both happy about doing it this way.The shop at home was NAUI. The shop at our resort was SSI. No problem mon.

You can easily do a referral if that's what you decide to do. OTOH, if you do enough research and find an excellent local instructor you're better off to finish your certification with someone who is good at what they do. An excellent instructor is hard to find. Something to think about.

DSSW,

WWW™

I had to make a similar choice.

First I had an vveerryyy understanding local instructor. I checked ahead (and booked ahead) to ensure a good turn over, and that I had all of the paperwork that everyone (me, PADI, referring dive center, and testing dive center) wanted.

Other than the fact that I did my weighbelt re&re with 8 lbs instead of 30lbs, no gloves or hood instead of 5mm gloves and hoods, and was warm instead of cold - no problemo...

It was great - also I did my referral dives with European Instructors instead of North American - same skills but different emphasis on "third world diving".

Having said all that, It was good to get the cert out of the way and in a very enjoyable manner. You still MUST practise the skills in the environment that you routinely dive in. Of course there is less pressure but the skills must become automatic.

Have fun tho' - it is nice to see fish that are coloured other than green and brown :D

Yep , up here in western Canada referals are common. Just finished a guys last pool session and he is off to Mexico.

A better way is to see if your LDC is running any trips to some place warm with one of their instructors. I have started people off here in the classroom and pool and then went with the group to Mexico to finish.

Ron

Thanks so much for all the responses and opinions (just noticed I didn't put this in the New 2 Scuba section, oops!). In short, my decision is that this years trip to Nassau will be as a snorkeler again. Given that I'm prone to over-researching things to begin with, and that this latest interest for me has a little more risk involved than most others, I just don't wanna rush it.

It might be tough to wait, but my first dive is gonna be in the local quarry :)

Thanks again everyone!

Not rushing is good. I Over-researched too.

I just thought I would tell you, that I think Scuba is much easier than snorkeling. I don't think I'll ever snorkel again.

about risk, with proper training Scuba is safer than Bowling.

Have a great trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom