Local Vancouver conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so ya know...dove Kelvin Grove today and the viz is looking spectacular. Surface temperature was a little on the cold side (a rockin' 41F) but at depth it hit about 46F.

Seriously, in these temperatures, how do you guys keep warm? I wear a Bare hi-loft with a layer of fleece AND some polypropylene longjohns (and dry gloves with fleece gloves underneath) and i cant feel fingers or toes after about 20 mins, and the shivering starts after about 10 mins. It's COLD.

Les:
sounds good. lets do sunday and I can show you copper cove if you like? or to the usual, or for the adventure head over to porteau wall. up to you and as long as Iam backhome no later than 1pm.
keep in touch
Les

Les, I'm in. Just got back from Whistler (awesome day). Whatever we do, it has to be easy access & relaxing, I won't have the legs to do much :D

Let me know where & when, just give me a call.

Bjorn

can anyone truthfully vouch for/against Argon? I have thought about it for such times as we are having now. Does it REALLY work as it sounds in theory? Does the price of a bottle and first stage make that much difference in warmth in a suit.

jeckyll:
Les: I'm in for Sunday morning :)

Just let me know where & when you want to meet. I have play with my new stage setup & mask :D
I guess you got your new reg setup for the stage? Are you using Nitrox yet in that thing? Copper is a great site to practice that stuff.
:D hopefuly my mask will cooperate this dive:14: <--me for 2 days.
See ya in the am
Les

I know a guy who used to dive with argon, but quit. Said the advantage wasn't worth the cost.

But who needs argon when you could have chilli?

Les:
I guess you got your new reg setup for the stage? Are you using Nitrox yet in that thing? Copper is a great site to practice that stuff.
:D hopefuly my mask will cooperate this dive:14: <--me for 2 days.
See ya in the am
Les

Les, remember: equalize early and equalize often ... and for cryin' out loud, take care of the mask squeeze this time

:rofl3:

I shouldn't laugh, but man I have to.

And yes, I got my new reg setup and will be trying it out tomorrow :)

See you in the morning.

Bjorn

Les:
can anyone truthfully vouch for/against Argon? I have thought about it for such times as we are having now. Does it REALLY work as it sounds in theory? Does the price of a bottle and first stage make that much difference in warmth in a suit.

Argon works. Some times people have a hard time telling the difference because they are just not aware of it. But I notice a significant difference between air and argon.

I would argue that it is not necessary for most people. You could put an extra bullet on your weight belt and put an extra layer on and you would be warmer as well.

Where argon becomes a necessity is when you are doing decos with long hang times. (where moving is not an option). Also when you are diving trimix, where you can't put helium in to your dry suit. ( I suppose you could, but you would notice the heat loss difference immediately).

For reference only:

Molecular weight of Helium is 4, nitrogen is 28, air is 28.9, O2 is 32 and Argon is 39.9.

creamofwheat:
Just so ya know...dove Kelvin Grove today and the viz is looking spectacular. Surface temperature was a little on the cold side (a rockin' 41F) but at depth it hit about 46F.

Seriously, in these temperatures, how do you guys keep warm? I wear a Bare hi-loft with a layer of fleece AND some polypropylene longjohns (and dry gloves with fleece gloves underneath) and i cant feel fingers or toes after about 20 mins, and the shivering starts after about 10 mins. It's COLD.
i remember doing kelvin once (i believe was Nov) it was so clear i didn't recognize the place! Luckily was at the time we were mapping it for DM class..... perfect!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom