Loch Low-Minn or Philadelphia Quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCMtnDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm planning a trip to either Loch Low-Minn or Philadelphia Quarry sometime within the next month or two, and I thought I would get people's opinions on which site they prefer. I've never dove either but I plan on diving both this summer, but I want to see what you guys have to say about both sites. Both sites seem fairly even in terms of conditions (vis and things to see). Philadelphia is quite a bit cheaper ($10 vs $25), but Loch Low-Minn has a full dive shop. Philadelphia just recently added air fills, so that makes it much more attractive. So which one should I check out first? Is there enough to see at either one to justify a full day at one or the other, or should I try to do both the same day? Thanks!

Well, Loch-Low-Minn doesn't have a "full dive shop" in the sense that you know it, but it is a beautiful place to dive.

I've never dived Philadelphia, so therefore I can't make a comparison.

the K

I haven't dove at Loch Low-Minn but I have been to Philadelphia several times. The last time I went was summer of 2006 and they had a very nice changing house with bathrooms set up. The visibility was awful but that was after a bad storm. It's usually pretty good though. It has plenty of room for camping if you want to do that but be prepared to drive through the cow field to get back to the quarry.

My experience is that LLM is more consistent with its visability, generally it is a little better.

It is also much better for setting up your equipment (plenty of picnic tables)

I have not been to Philly this spring so there may have been tables added... there are a couple but most often that is nowhere near enough.

Overall I personally prefer LLM for a swim. many more natural sights to see.

In contrast, if you want to work on skills I would go very early and hit Philly. The main platform there has side rails and this allows you to really monitor your bouyancy while task loading, very useful tool.

Philly is also half the price unless that changed with the new additions

Many thanks guys on your advice. I think I'll check out LLM first and try Philly on another day.

If you're going to LLM, bring your compass. They have a nice little navigation course on the W-SW side of the quarry, with moored markers set up giving you distances and headings to the next numbered marker. Great way to sharpen your nav skills.

There's also a short buoyancy course with moored PVC swim-throughs...

They have a number of "sights" set up on the bottom as well... It's a good quarry dive, as quarries go...

I dive Philly Quarry quite a bit. Aside from the fact that the owners are friends of mine and I DM for them, I don't like LLM. WAY too many rules for me -- no kids, no BBQs, no smoking....... I don't have kids and I can have lunch elsewhere, but not being able to have a post dive cigar? :11::11::11::11:

There are two training platforms at Philly and a third will be sunk in the next few weeks. The deck for it was completed last week, now it just has to be moved to the water and have legs attached. It's 16'x16'!

There is a new 16'x20' floating dock. It will easily accommodate a dozen divers gearing up and you can giant stride into 35' of water.

There are no new picnic tables. Most people don't use them because a table isn't big enough for several people's gear, tanks, dry stuff, etc. Most divers use tarps or just lay their gear on the ground.

There are changing rooms with bathrooms on-site, and camping is allowed.

There is now a compressor on-site and air fills are available Saturdays and Sundays from 9 to 5. There is also lots of rental gear -- BCs, regs, wetsuits, and tanks.

No, the fee for Philly Quarry has not changed. It's still $10 per day and it is open 24/7. You're welcome to dive all day Saturday, camp Saturday night, and dive all day Sunday. For $20. You can't do that at LLM.

LLM is only open on weekends from May 1 to November 1 and ONLY 9 to 5. Night dives and camping require reservations. Night dives are only allowed from 6 to 11PM. Camping is $10 per night per person. Visitors are $10 per day and they may not enter the water. At Philly it's $3 and they're welcome to swim.

Adventure Scuba Diving has potluck dinners at the quarry about once a month through the summer. They had one yesterday and there were over 80 people there! Fried chicken, pasta salad, salad, cookies, BBQ, 10lbs of boiled shrimp, and more. They didn't do any giveaways yesterday, but normally there are 4-5 prizes given away. Last year they gave away regulators, wetsuits, digital cameras, bags, masks, knives, lights, and more.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

This has been helpful, but I have a couple of more questions. First, Philly is open during the week and not just on the weekends like LLM correct? Also, the info for Philly on lakediver.com says that its recommended that you don't drive to the quarry in a car. Is this accurate info? Thanks!

Make that just one question - about the drive. My question about open during the week has already been answered - sorry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom