locking jaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Robert,

Have you had an opportunity to try or research the NTI-tss device? It's a "deprogrammer" based on a Lucia Jig. I have been making them for about 6 months now and am amazed at how effective they are in reducing clenching. They basically trick the brain into shutting off the two temporalis muscles. The device is FDA approved for migraine headache treatment. There is a correlation between nocturnal temporalis contractions and migraine.

Do a web search for NTI-tss.

Regards,

Larry Stein

The clicking that you are experiencing during an open lock episode sounds like the pad of tissue (articular disc), which cushions the jaw bone (condyle) from the base of the skull, is being displaced and then recaptured onto the proper position, allowing you to close completely.

Many people suffer from a periodic displacement of this disc which prevents the jaw from opening and closing normally. Depending on when the disc is displaced, the jaw can be locked open or closed. When it snaps back into the proper place, jaw function is restored. It usually is painless unless the muscles spasm or the ligaments are stretched too much.

As the other docs mentionned, keeping the joint in a more natural position while diving (Seacure mouthpiece) will more than likely solve the problem. I have diagnosed many of my patients who have similar problems as being nocturnal bruxers (grinding their teeth while sleeping), which can stress the joint and predispose you to this condition. Ask your dentist if he/she sees any signs of bruxism. Good luck.
:whoa:

He didn't see any apparent signs of bruxism, but suspects that's what may be aggravating the situation. As seems to be the consensus here, he recommended a custom mouthpiece for the reg (already got that covered, but will likely have to wait until January for my next dive to see just how effective it is). He also suggested that I try to get a generic custom mouthpiece to keep in my mouth when I'm asleep if the jaw continues to lock in the mornings (something that's been happening more and more over the last few months). We'll see how it goes. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and advise.

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom