log book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liran tal

New
Reaction score
hi,
I live in Israel. Under Israeli law we need to show log book before we dive .
If I want to dive in some other countries, do i need to have of a log book ? Is there anything digital ,that diving club sign ?
and i'ts valid to all countries?
tnx

Depends on the countries.

I have dove in US, Canada, Mexico, Greece, Cayman Islands. I have never been asked for a logbook (except for some courses). I have been asked for a C Card. I have on a few dives in the US been asked for AOW and been told that a log book showing recent deep dives would suffice.

I tend to log dives sometimes right after diving. My dive log has detachable pages. I keep only the last few dives in it. The rest are at home. I also keep a spread sheet version which is convenient for looking up information on dives.

I generally avoid tightly controlled group dives unless that is my only dive choice. I frequently hire a private DM when I travel. Do not know it that affects the answer.

As Steve_C said, there are different regulations for different countries. Some legally require showing a dive shop your log book and some don’t. Most of the time, the countries just want to make sure that you can prove your diving experience.

To answer your question about a digital logbook, we do have an option at diviac.com. The site allows you to digitally record your dives, store information from your dive computer, have your dives verified by your dive buddy and store your log book in a cloud so that you always have it and can never really lose it.

A dive log (digital or paper) proves nothing. Some dive centres might want to see one (most don't) but your dive computer should be enough (again proves nothing). Why any country would have an actual law about it is beyond my comprehension. Idiotic IMHO.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2016 at 02:40 PM ----------

...Some legally require showing a dive shop your log book and some don’t.....

Can you list those that do. Isreal we know now.

I will avoid them all.

I have never been asked to show a log book anywhere (USA, Caribbean, Canada), but I have never been diving in Israel.

BTW, if you have a Mac, Mac Dive is awesome!

Not only is it an incredibly powerful and flexible log book, it downloads dives from a huge range of dive computers, it syncs through the cloud and to your phone, and the developer is incredibly good about tech support, bug fixes and upgrades.

As Steve_C said, there are different regulations for different countries. Some legally require showing a dive shop your log book and some don’t. Most of the time, the countries just want to make sure that you can prove your diving experience. . . .

Does anyone happen to know of a country or region other than Israel that has a legal/regulatory requirement for showing a log book?

I find it strange that logs could be a legal requirement given that they must be one of the easiest formats to tamper with or fabricate if you wished to.

If someone was of a mind to falsify their experience, there is little to stop that with a log. A scribbled signature by an imaginary dive buddy would be all that is required.

Better IMHO to ask for diving certification which does actually prove tuition to a prescribed standard.

I googled, but could only find secondary sources for that law (i.e. dive op websites citing it), so not clear what the law is actually. But most of them require proof of a dive within 6 months. Hard to believe that they won't accept digital logs.

I wonder if anyone has the actual law online somewhere...?

I have had several dive ops ask - dive ops that cater to tourists and they really want to know what you have dived recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom