Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolf eel:
....snip....

That is the point as I have had a barrage of e-mails saying P.A.D.I is the one to give you your cert card this way do you not agree?

Cheers
Derek

No. PADI won't do it. Even if I get someone in for a scuba review and he has a log book with 500 dives in it I can't do the review unless I see the card. PADI is very clear about it. No prerequisite card, no course, no exceptions. Period.

If a particular instructor gives you shortened course where not everything is done or if he/she gives you a C-card based on a log book without taking the course at all then the instructor is making a standards violation (ie breaking agency rules).

Unfortunately, PADI's scale makes it impossible to catch every unethical thing an instructor does and some instructors do get away with this kind of thing. But it's not the agency doing it, it's the instructor. If there is anything the agency can be blamed for it's giving bad instructors enough wiggle-room to get away this kind of thing..... In a perfect world every indiscretion would be handled.

Same thing holds for the case of underwater daphne. She should have been checked out before the diving started. Maybe it happened without her knowing about it..... The instructor can do that easily on the PADI website based on her name and birthdate. But then again, maybe it didn't happen, but that fact would have been the instructor's responsibility. He *is* required to do it either way.

R..

Ok

In most of Canada we have no law. Two province's are I think making law you take a proof course if you will, to be able to dive in certain parks. But we have no law either.

The insurance companies request that you have all information about your clients (students). If you as an instructor do not have all information before an accident they could deny you in court. Also I think you are requiered to ask for cert cards to fill tanks and the insurance company use's this to beat anybody in court over lawsuits that may spring up about tanks and air.

I was told P.A.D.I would give a course based on log books in resorts look at the thread neglegent (Solo diving) And have had all kinds of e-mails saying so.

I agree that log books give you a better idea as to whom you are diving with.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Derek

Diver0001:
No. PADI won't do it. Even if I get someone in for a scuba review and he has a log book with 500 dives in it I can't do the review unless I see the card. PADI is very clear about it. No prerequisite card, no course, no exceptions. Period.

If a particular instructor gives you shortened course where not everything is done or if he/she gives you a C-card based on a log book without taking the course at all then the instructor is making a standards violation (ie breaking agency rules).

Unfortunately, PADI's scale makes it impossible to catch every unethical thing an instructor does and some instructors do get away with this kind of thing. But it's not the agency doing it, it's the instructor. If there is anything the agency can be blamed for it's giving bad instructors enough wiggle-room to get away this kind of thing..... In a perfect world every indiscretion would be handled.

Same thing holds for the case of underwater daphne. She should have been checked out before the diving started. Maybe it happened without her knowing about it..... The instructor can do that easily on the PADI website based on her name and birthdate. But then again, maybe it didn't happen, but that fact would have been the instructor's responsibility. He *is* required to do it either way.

R..

some examples of log book credit...

I never used it and don't have the standards in front of me so I can't go into the details but there are provisions in the OW course for giving an experienced (uncertified) divers some credit.

Also a diver CAN move on to a reccue class without taking an AOW class provided they have some certification beyond OW and adequate logged experience.

Instructors can become "certified to teach specialties based on their signiture stating they have logged dive experience in that specialty.

As for the scuba review...An instructor can conduct a scuba review for an uncertified diver. In fact it's recommended as a way to brush up if there's significant time between confined water training and OW. A DM however could not.

[some examples of log book credit...

I never used it and don't have the standards in front of me so I can't go into the details but there are provisions in the OW course for giving an experienced (uncertified) divers some credit.

Also a diver CAN move on to a reccue class without taking an AOW class provided they have some certification beyond OW and adequate logged experience.

Instructors can become "certified to teach specialties based on their signiture stating they have logged dive experience in that specialty.

As for the scuba review...An instructor can conduct a scuba review for an uncertified diver. In fact it's recommended as a way to brush up if there's significant time between confined water training and OW. A DM however could not.]

Alright then

But do you get a cert card ? like an open water or such without having a card and only taking the refresh.

I did not know you did not have too take the Advanced to get rescue that seems a little odd but i believe you.

Cheers
Derek gone diving of all things.

MikeFerrara:
....snip....

This is a cross-over/cross-back situation. It was hard enough to get the message across without bringing this up but the point is well taken.

:eek: No independent cross-check? Wow.... I'm floored. You're talking about an instructor certifying himself for something..... Surely you're kidding.

As for the scuba review...An instructor can conduct a scuba review for an uncertified diver. In fact it's recommended as a way to brush up if there's significant time between confined water training and OW. A DM however could not.

Well it stands to reason that an instructor could take an uncertified student on a skills review in this situation but you're talking about a continuation of OW, right?

R..

wolf eel:
Alright then

But do you get a cert card ? like an open water or such without having a card and only taking the refresh.

In the case of an OW certification, some credit can be given for previous experience. As I stated above I'd have to check the standards to see how much the class could be shortened.
I did not know you did not have too take the Advanced to get rescue that seems a little odd but i believe you.

It seems a very well kept secret.

wolf eel:
Alright then

...snip...

Cheers
Derek gone diving of all things.

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that if you take PADI OW and then you take some IANTD courses and want to take PADI rescue that you can get credit for your IANTD cards even though the systems are quite different.

R..

Diver0001:
That's not what he's saying. He's saying that if you take PADI OW and then you take some IANTD courses and want to take PADI rescue that you can get credit for your IANTD cards even though the systems are quite different.

R..

Not really.

I'm saying that you could take a PADI OW class. Then you could take some other class...say a PADI nitrox class...and go out and do some diving. Then with log book documentation of 20 dives experience in deep, nav night? (or did they remove that?) You could then take a PADI rescue class.

Check the standards. the prereqs are AOW or equivilant...defined as...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom