log dive stamping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a similar thread on signing log pages.

Most operators don't require your log entries to be signed or stamped. Many divers use electronic logs, or don't log dives at all.

Illegal? Ah, the Scuba Police appear again....

The purpose of the log fore many is to determine your activities. The stamping of a log is a way of weeding out the false log entries. Does it work. yes to some degree. Can it be falsified absolutely. Once you have enough dives to clear any ones scrutiny of your minimal dive history they are pretty much useless. many sites have stickers to attach to your entries.

My wild guess on the purpose of the stamps....

One of the most glaring deficiencies of standard log book pages is a lack of a place to identify the dive operator. I will frequently write that in when I feel it might be necessary to remember one day. I have on more than a few occasions gone back to dives done long before to get the name of the operator I used so that I can either recommend them (or otherwise) to a friend who is going in the area, or if I am going to return and want to consider using that operator again. I suspect that one of the reasons dive shops are eager to get you to stamp their dives is so that they will be remembered that way. I would certainly do that if I were a dive operator.

As does John ^^^, I write in my operator for the memories. If I have a memorable dive with someone, I'll ask them to sign my log. Mostly, though, the logs are what equipment and weighting I have, in what suit, in what conditions.

So, stamp it with the op's stamp . . . . I don't know why you would have your own, seems rather fussy, but whatever floats your boat. It is your log, and you can put what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom