Logging Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like subsurface. it works between ios and windows which was a must have for me. I really like the dive planner that's included with it as well.

The dive planner is a killer feature, especially for planning multi-gas deco dives. Being able to drag and drop the waypoints and immediately see the effect on the deco plan is invaluable for developing an understanding of decompression. I've played with other programs like MultiDeco, but the graphical representation of the ceiling and stops makes it way easier to grasp.

Even after over 20 years of diving, I still log every dive. I designed my own log sheets because I couldn't find any I liked.

I've logged them all beginning with the 4 OW checkout dives 14 years ago. In fact, the instructor forgot to sign our logs at the site so I had to bring my book back to the shop to get this done. I thought this was absolutely VITAL for me to be able to dive now..... Funny, I had never heard of logging scuba dives before the course. Then again, I didn't know what a PADI was and thought when she introduced her DM that the DM ranked above the instructor.
So, I keep on logging them because that's what you're supposed to do.

I have a paper log, I am about 20+ dives behind presently. I had some computer issues this year so a few of my data set were lost. I did FaceBook most of them, so they will get printed out and taped in eventually. I have done video logs of dives, FaceBook and GPS as well.
I agree with the others that paper is king, very unlikely the storage format will go out of date or the password be lost.

What do I put in a log entry? Usually the technical stuff, Dive number (total), dive number (year to date), depth, bottom time, temp, configuration, weights, surface interval, dive buddies. I used to sketch the dive site, but I have been using GPS on my dive flag this year (a very enlightening practice). I try to write a very descriptive narrative of the dive, so another diver could use it to plan their own dives (this is usually a internet type entry).

sadly, I am yet to be willing to spend $85 on a cable for a dive computer.

I was first certified before the use of dive computers was common. Apart from my checkout dives, I logged only a few of my dives in a logbook that I had. I just didn't find the information very useful, so I stopped for a while.

When I finally got around to getting a dive computer with a means to connect to a computer, I started to log my dives pretty regularly. The information contained is a lot more useful, especially with AI computers, as the software can easily calculate SAC and RMV (if you enter tank info). With that, and gear info, it can be helpful down the road.

In the past, I've used Diverlog. It's got some useful features, and works with several dive computers, though there is a considerably larger list for the Mac version compared to the Windows or Mobile platforms. It does give you the option of printing the log so you can have a paper copy, though I've never actually done that.

While I was using Diverlog, I also tried out MacDive. I didn't see anything to move me to the full purchased version over the free version of Diverlog, so I stopped.

I also started trying out Subsurface. Pretty sure, this works with an even larger group of computers. I was using both at the same time. There are a few features I like in Diverlog better than Subsurface, but the more I use Subsurface, the more I like it. I also downloaded the subsurface iOS app, which is really nice. It works through the cloud, and all the dives I've logged on Subsurface for Mac are now available on my phone. On the phone I can pull up the profile, gas, gear info, and a few other things. There are still some things that need the Mac version, but it's got the basic info, and should be sufficient for someone wanting to take a look at a log.

I use the standard pages they sell at most dive shops. However, I log two dives per page to save space. I always note the weight I used and what I was wearing for thermal protection and what the water temp was. My husband rarely logs anything but seems to frequently ask me "what was the temp when we went there in February?".

I use the Dive Log app for IOS and sync it to Dive Log Manager for Mac. The nice thing about that is that I have the dive log on my iPhone, my iPad, my Mac, and backed up to the cloud. Zero chance of losing my log.

As for what I record, I find it most helpful to note:

(1) How much weight I used
(2) Thickness of wet suit
(3) Size and material of tank (steel/aluminum)
(4) Any challenges in entering/navigating/exiting the dive site
(5) Name of my buddy
(6) Any mistake I made
(7) Any mistake made by others and how I reacted to it
(8) Any special marine life encountered or particularly good stories
(9) Any photo settings that yielded particularly good shots
(10) The names of the boat, captain, and crew, if noteworthy

I’ve logged every dive I’ve ever done, and I refer to my log constantly. I can quickly tell you exactly how many dives I’ve done with my daughter; how much weight was just right on a California dive with steel 80s and a 7 mm, vs in the Red Sea with no wetsuit and aluminum 80s; the name of a particularly good dive site from 15 years ago I’d otherwise forgotten, and so much more.

The app also stores images of your C-cards, and I’ve never found an operator that won’t accept that in lieu of the plastic card.

I don't log weights, exposure suit, tanks.
I have 3 situations and they are listed on one sheet of paper (and are memorized anyway). If I do something different than the last 14 years I'll just have to add that to the piece of paper.

I designed my own logbook pages in Adobe InDesign; two pages fit on a standard 8.5" x 11" letter-size sheet. I get them them printed double-sided on glossy, water-resistant paper, cut in half, and drilled for a 3-ring binder.

Dive Log Pages -- 04.jpg

I designed my own logbook pages in Adobe InDesign; two pages fit on a standard 8.5" x 11" letter-size sheet. I get them them printed double-sided on glossy, water-resistant paper, cut in half, and drilled for a 3-ring binder.

View attachment 546327
Most of my dives are square profiles, so I'm able to use tables to fill in the place on the log page for pressure group. I know most use computers nowadays (I do on rare occasions) and have this info. printed out or saved--or some indication of what no-stop bottom time remained after a dive. Do you do anything with that on your paper log example you posted?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom