Logging Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my dives are square profiles, so I'm able to use tables to fill in the place on the log page for pressure group. I know most use computers nowadays (I do on rare occasions) and have this info. printed out or saved--or some indication of what no-stop bottom time remained after a dive. Do you do anything with that on your paper log example you posted?
I usually do multi-level dives, so I've not done anything with tables or pressure groups in...it's been years, really, since I thought about them.

If I were to record table-based information, I'd likely put that info on either the first line of the "Equipment" or "Comments" sections; if I needed that info consistently, I'd redesign the page and convert the first "Equipment" line into preset blanks with appropriate labels.

I usually do multi-level dives, so I've not done anything with tables or pressure groups in...it's been years, really, since I thought about them.

If I were to record table-based information, I'd likely put that info on either the first line of the "Equipment" or "Comments" sections; if I needed that info consistently, I'd redesign the page and convert the first "Equipment" line into preset blanks with appropriate labels.
I kinda see what you mean (though I'm not computer saavy). I'm not so much thinking about the old pressure groups so much as important info. about how much no stop time was left after a dive--ei. how close you were to the limit. I assume such info. is "print-outable" from a DC, but what would you actually put on a paper log?
Would your space for that be labelled "no stop time remaining"?

@TMHeimer I record “Min. NDL” in my paper log. Since my dives usually aren’t square I get this from looking at graph downloaded from my computer and record the lowest number.

I kinda see what you mean (though I'm not computer saavy). I'm not so much thinking about the old pressure groups so much as important info. about how much no stop time was left after a dive--ei. how close you were to the limit. I assume such info. is "print-outable" from a DC, but what would you actually put on a paper log?
Would your space for that be labelled "no stop time remaining"?
"remaining no stop time" would be a meaningless parameter. At what depth?

I use logs from my Suunto Eon Core, and the iPad app creatively named “Dive Log”.
it allows you to add notes, get signatures from instructors etc and is a good visual representation of data from the dive and where I can improve.
It also allows you plot dive sites on a map which is useful for keeping track of everywhere you’ve dive.

0B286C6B-5F3C-4ED0-BF47-BFB99710DEF6.png FED7AA6E-F5FE-43FB-B7B7-D224F5D94AC7.png

and super easy to transfer logs from the dive computer to the iPad wirelessly

"remaining no stop time" would be a meaningless parameter. At what depth?
At any depth. If you're not planning any deco (I never do), you should note how many minutes you had left before you had to do some deco. With the old tables you would log a pressure group. With a DC it will tell you how much no stop (no deco) time you have left. This is obviously very relevant no matter depth, tables or computer use.
95% of my dives are to 30' (10m) or less, so for me that figure is so large that it is basically meaningless. But most divers average "normal" depth dives--like 60-100' (20-30m).

At any depth
My point was that if "remaining ND time" is to be a meaningful parameter it has to be at a standardized depth.

If you dive a square profile, that may work. What if you dive something close to a triangular profile, as at least I often do when I'm shore diving? At safety stop depth, your remaining ND time is ridiculously long, no matter if you had a quick dip to 10m, or if you went to 30m, stayed there for more than 15min and then rode the computer up.

I use a spreadsheet on Google Sheets. My Teric also records dives and I sync them to Shearwater cloud, but then just copy the following info to my spreadsheet:

Date
Site
Buddies
Max Depth
Avg Depth
Duration
Start PSI
End PSI
Tank(s) Used
City
State
Country
Summary

Never the less I would suggest that you log ALL hyperbaric exposures
SDM

Interesting post. But I will note that my wife has vision loss and skeletal issues. She has never dived. Almost every group, active or inactive, has lost many members by the 70s and has a number of ills if they make it to 70. Figuring out what is due to exposure and what is not would be very difficult to determine. For some, if diving kept them more active, then maybe the exercise benefit outweighs any accumulated pressure issues.

-A 73 year old strictly recreational diver who started at 60.

My point was that if "remaining ND time" is to be a meaningful parameter it has to be at a standardized depth.

If you dive a square profile, that may work. What if you dive something close to a triangular profile, as at least I often do when I'm shore diving? At safety stop depth, your remaining ND time is ridiculously long, no matter if you had a quick dip to 10m, or if you went to 30m, stayed there for more than 15min and then rode the computer up.
Yeah OK, I now see what you mean. I use my computer so infrequently that I forget that almost no matter what you do your NDL is ridiculously high at a 15' safety stop. I guess instead of me putting in the old pressure group, with my DC I could enter--"hey it didn't ever reach 0"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom