Logging Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So far I have had several solo dives and have logged them as such. As far as moving forward with more advanced certifications like Dive Master, where a certain number of dives is necessary, has anyone had a problem with those dives being counted? I could see where someone could possibly fudge their log to make it look like they have more experience.

As solo diving is frowned upon by most agencies, each logged solo dive counts as a -1 in your total dive count towards prerequisite for DM class. Since they subtract from your total dive count, it is best NOT to log them.

Nahhhh. Not really true, but I just couldn't resist. :banana:

You could sign the log book yourself, so that no one will question it's validity :D

Seriously, it's your log book- if there is information that you want to keep in there, then by all means, log it.

I log all my dives to keep track of how many dives I've done and total lifetime bottom time.

Actually, since you're your own buddy, you should count it double. :D

My LDS has no problems with counting my solo dives. They merely asked me how many dives I had so far, and I told them. Diving with them quite validated the number, although if they'd like to look at my logbook, I'd be delighted to tell them (at length) all about each and every site. :D

Log ALL your dives....will not count against you for a DM program.

I have noticed that several of the divers I have buddied with just tell me to sign my own log. I do request that they sign mainly because I want a record of my entire dive. It amazed me to see new divers just write an incomplete sentence "dove Catalina today" and that's it. Catalina has many sites and I would like to record where I have been. I think it should be strongly, kindly, suggested that the first OW dives at have everything documented.

Ya know...if I just would have searched the friggin site, there was already a post about this from waaaaaay back...I'm just so anxious to get my "Status" stars filled up I gotta post...more...more....I don't want to be a Junior Member ANYMORE!!!! :crying:

I log all of my dives...even the solo ones. No, ESPECIALLY the solo ones. It's during these dives that I have learned the most.

I seriously doubt that any cert agency is going to thumb through your logbook and prevent you from taking the class of your choosing.

After all, if they deny you from taking the class, they don't get your $$ for the class!

Let your computer be your log. If you dont have one already, get one that will allow you to print and analyze your dive profile. Save these and study them. Also invest in a camera. Even the cheapies take workable photos given the software thats available now.

No one will believe when you tell them that you saw ET riding a whale shark on your last dive! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom