Logistics and config using Dive Flag and camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving in the Caribbean using mostly Boat dives or dives from a site where a divers down flag wasn't necessary (already marked off, etc), but now we are planning on doing more shore dives in Grand Cayman in areas where the laws requires use of a Divers Down float. I have been trying to learn how best to do this.

Everything I have read says that you should carry the spool in your hand and not have it tied off to your BCD (which I can totally understand). This would mean that for the entire dive I would need to use one hand to hold the spool.

I most often dive with a small camera that, while not usually needing two hands, does from time to time in order to change settings. one of the joy of diving for me is to be able to capture the moments for later (I am an avid photographer on land too!)

Seems to me that I am running out of hands!

Here is a thought - since I tend to only use the camera when at depth, and since the divers down flag is really only needed when close to the surface (start and end of the dive), is there some way of me pulling it down once at a safe depth, deflating it, attaching it to my BCD (or rolling it up) or whatever, then deploying it again during the safety stop?

What are the concerns with doing this, and, if a viable option, what sort of flag, line and spool would you use?

...or am I overthinking this?

I would appreciate some practical advice on this matter...

Actually i'm confused since you mentioned deflating it -- are you talking about a Dive Flag or a Surface Marker Buoy? The flag is supposedly to help keep people away and stays up top - and the spool for that you can normally stick your arm thru when you need to hold the camera.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I need to make sure that I am doing whatever I need to do with regard to whatever is on the surface. I have seen flags and inflatables - not sure whether either are acceptable or not. My thinking is that once I am down no boat is really going to bother me, so a flag isn't really going to help me. At the start and end of dives, that's when I need to have something on the surface. I was wondering if there was tech out there that would do that so that I don't have to spend the whole dive with a spool in my hand...

I have a camera attached to my mask that runs throughout the dive taking a picture every 2 seconds or video. It captures everything, removes one task and leaves both hands free for handling a dive flag. Not sure you need another hand, just one less task.

I have a torpedo type of flag marker(hard plastic like a rescue can). This type for me seams to tow with the least resistance.

I carry the reel and camera down and when I get to a spot that I wish to film I hook the reel using a reef hook to the spot and swim around shooting what I want and then recover the reel and move to another spot. I can film with the reel but for better steady close in shots I secure the reel.

Keeps the flag safe and cuts down on the task loading and problems with the National Resources Cops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a camera attached to my mask that runs throughout the dive taking a picture every 2 seconds or video. It captures everything, removes one task and leaves both hands free for handling a dive flag. Not sure you need another hand, just one less task.
Youre kidding, right?

A head-mounted camera wouldn't fit my needs, I'm afraid. While it may capture some of the dive, I want to be able to get "up close and personal" with the smaller stuff - fireworms, nudis, shrimp, etc - a head-mount wouldn't do that.

I'm not sure how folks in some marine parks would feel about a reef hook - I appreciate the tip and have done a little reading, but it seems that they are a bit controversial in their use. In Cayman, for example, gloves are forbidden, and touching any part of the reef. I don't want the dive police to be paying me a visit :)

grand cayman rules per the site: All shore divers must have one dive float/flag in the water per buddy team. -- similar to florida then --- which means at least 1 person in the group has to be flying the flag at all times-- if it's just you then i would do 2 things -- (and it depends on the current) -- stick your arm thru the hole in the center of the reel while moving and attach a solid weight to it. 2lbs or equiv? that way if the current is mild - you can set it down.

hmmm.. depending on the camera -- mount it on a handle and attach a bolt snap to it -- and clip the flag reel onto the bolt snap. not ideal but that keeps your hand free from the reel. Also if you happen to drop the camera for whatever reason -- it's attached to the flag so it's harder to lose!

depending on the current might play an issue with holding it steady though :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom