Lone Oak Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerBecca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After years of catering to the dive community with reasonable rates they seem to be turning their backs on us. They have nearly tripled their rates for Friday - Sunday making it prohibitively expensive. They have not updated their very outdated rooms, simply raised their rates. Just wanted to give everyone a head-up.

This place has been like my 2nd home every weekend but when I tried to make a reservation for this Saturday a room they normally give me for $70 because I am a regular guest and one of the dive pros, I was told the total would be $383. I laughed out loud. Said, are you kidding me? She said that going forward they are raising their rates for Friday - Sunday.

I wonder how long they will be in business when none of us show up?

There's a fairly large bike event in Monterey this weekend and you're gonna see high rates pretty much everywhere. Many places even have a 2 (sometimes 3) night minimum stay on top of the high rates.

This isn't anything new or them turning their backs on us - just supply and demand. If you look at rates for later weekends, they're back to "normal".

Seems like hotel prices have been climbing across the board as Monterey becomes a more popular destination for tourists and conventions. Lone Oak wouldn't raise prices if they weren't filling their rooms...and if they can fill their rooms (outdated as they may be) with guests willing to pay those prices, why wouldn't they raise them? Sucks for us divers, but I bet any of us would do the same as small business owners.

There's a fairly large bike event in Monterey this weekend and you're gonna see high rates pretty much everywhere. Many places even have a 2 (sometimes 3) night minimum stay on top of the high rates.

This isn't anything new or them turning their backs on us - just supply and demand. If you look at rates for later weekends, they're back to "normal".

I'm aware of the Sea Otter Classic, and I am used to a rise in rates during a big event. However, $383 for a Queen Room? She also told me over the phone that they are raising their rates.

I found a place to stay that was reasonably priced (1/2 what Lone Oaks wanted) considering the events of the weekend.

Their cancellation policy is non existent now also. Tried to cancel and was told they couldn’t since I was within 7 days. I even offered to let them just give me credit for a night, if the next stay cost more I would pay the difference, if it was less they could keep the difference.

Their cancellation policy is non existent now also. Tried to cancel and was told they couldn’t since I was within 7 days. I even offered to let them just give me credit for a night, if the next stay cost more I would pay the difference, if it was less they could keep the difference.

Yeah, that's a recent change too. The unreasonable 7 day cancellation policy.

Yeah, the 7 day cancellation policy is lamesauce. I got hit by it when I had to cancel the last day of a 4 day booking last August. It used to be 72hr (I think??) and I thought even that was high.

You can always sleep in your car at Breakwater, or have they cracked down on that yet?
Everything always goes up, never down. Pretty soon we’ll be having to stay at some flea bag motel in Salinas.

You can always sleep in your car at Breakwater, or have they cracked down on that yet?
Everything always goes up, never down. Pretty soon we’ll be having to stay at some flea bag motel in Salinas.

It's my understanding we can no longer sleep in our cars at Breakwater overnight. It is really getting insane to live and work here. The Bay Area has become totally unaffordable for anyone earning under $250,000.00/year.

EDIT:To put things in perspective, today I went to the supermarket and bought 10 cans of cat food, a bag of salad, 2 chicken breasts, 1/2 gallon of milk, 1 dozen eggs, and 1 $7 bottle of wine. Total bill was $70. I am so over living here.

Wow $383 for a weekend is rather steep. I'm certain the Sea Otter Classic has affected the pricing. I have stayed in Monterey and have noticed that the prices begin to climb as the season transitions into Spring and definitely in Summer. I have paid just $50 for a room in January/February only to find the same room at three times the cost in the summer months.

Using Hotels.com, the least expensive hotels average between $140-$150 in Monterey. That's fairly high for March/April. Having never stayed at the Lone Oak, why do so many divers favor this place? I've stayed at various hotes along side Fremont Blvd but never at the Lone Oak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom