Long hose (7 feet) setup ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When you are using a Long Hose (7 feet) and you do not have a dive light with a canister, what is the best setup for the hose ?

When you are using a Long Hose (7 feet) and you do not have a dive light with a canister, what is the best setup for the hose ?

Tuck it under your waist strap. I think that’s what you’re asking...what to do with all that hose?

I always use a long hose, tucked into waist belt.

I loop it around the reel that I clip off to my right D-ring. And then I make my buddy run his reel because I'm carrying the big camera.

Or, you could use one of these.

tuck it into waist is my norm, but a buddy of mine puts retaining bands on his tank and stows the extra hose on it. easy for diving but not easy to restow if deployed while diving..

If I won't normally be carrying a can light, such as on a liveaboard, I just use a 5' hose, but tucking a 7' hose in the waist belt works too.

Lots of votes for tucking the loop. I don't prefer that method. The long hose can easily get pulled out if there is any tension on it at any point (minor snag, clipping off the primary if you switch to another bottle or your backup reg), and it's harder to stow after deploying.

Putting pretty much anything on the right hip is a better solution if you use the standard Hogarthian routing - down from the right post, around the canister (or whatever else is on the right hip), up to the left side of your neck and around the back of your neck.

If you aren't using a can light, that can be anything on your harness belt - shears, a pice of PVC pipe (either DIY or purchased), a backup spool or reel clipped to a D-ring, etc...

Very small divers can get the same rigging with a 5 foot hose.

The disadvantage of tucking it into the belt as DoctorMike pointed out is that it can slip out. The advantage is that there is a one step, one hand donation process. You donate the regulator and it can just pull free without the light cord/long hose crossover confusion. My NACD cave instructor preferred this location despite wearing a can light for that reason. If you don't dive often and don't practice S-Drills enough, as some recreational divers don't, this might be the preferred location for simplicity in an emergency.

Using a scooter will most likely result in the hose pulling free of the waist belt. Lots of water hits the hose and the harness gets pulled by the scooter. Wearing the hose behind the can light keeps it relatively tucked in place. Occasionally, the hose will pop out from behind the can, but not frequently. The donation process becomes two step. Donate the first part of the hose. Find the bit that's tucked behind the can and pull it free. If you don't pass your light cord underneath your long hose, then you also have to deal with a light cord and long hose cross. It adds a third step in an emergency. You run the cord under the long hose while the drill or donation is underway then over the long hose once the drill or donation is over to clean up.

They make a little delrin rod that looks like a small police night stick or billy club to hold long hoses. Some people like these, but I'm not a fan of equipment that serves only one purpose on the rig. Recreational divers may want to use something like the Halcyon zipper pouch to hold items they may need rather than clip them to D-rings or wear pocket shorts or have pockets installed on wetsuits. If you are a wreck diver, an extra cutting tool such as a knife or scissors with enough protrusion to hold the hose may be preferable. Cave divers prefer tucking the hose into the waist band if using a cordless light. There is nothing else that needs to be added to the right side. Any item like a long, stiff knife or a derin rod can become a potential snag hazard if trying to back out of a restriction.

I personally dont like diving with it tucked under my waist belt. I find that as you swim and move around it can pop out of place with out your notice.

What i did and recomend is you make your self what i call a false canister. Get yourself a .5 inch to 1 inch diamiter cheap pvc pipe about 10 inchs long. Get 2 end caps and drill a small hole in the middle of them and put them on the pipe. Then with 2 stainless steel pipe clamps and a peace of harness make a attachment for your bc harnesss just like a regular canister light.

Then wala, you have a false canister that will hold your hose in place just like the real deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom