Long hose and octo with necklace for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7'/9' (yeah, I'm tall) just stows so much cleaner that any other option for me. Been diving this way (and a BP/W) since I got back into the sport about 8 years ago. Thanks SB!

Long hose works great in the recreational environment. I would suggest getting some training from someone who knows how to use it at a bare minimum. Ideally a the fundies course or similar.

The main danger is that if you are with an inexperienced buddy they might use the length to get away from you or drag you to the surface. So to manage this if you watch the s drill when donating the hose you ensure that the person receiving it is ok before deploying the full hose. You could also choose not to deploy the extra length if you are going to make a straight vertical ascent.

It does give you a nice option to be able to swim side by side back to the boat providing you have enough air to support this.

Dave B

For rec diving we use a 5' hose tucked under our arm. For tech diving we use a 7' hose tucked under our can light.

I had the same question as you when I started.

First, long hose for rec. Up to you. Doesn't really matter. Buddy donate is a rare event. I don't think primary or secondary donate is going to affect the chances of survival that differently. Anybody tells you they know the answer, just run. So I would recommend just trying it out and see what suits you. The difference is less than $50 worth of hoses. Some tradeoffs will depend on you - like how you handle your hose on the boat and in the water :) Just pick one at some point and stick with it.

Second, 5' vs 7'. Im short, 5'6". Most people were saying do 5' for rec, it's better, etc. This is just personal. I went with 7' because out of many threads I read. I found a shorter woman saying it was fine. I was like if she can do it I can too. Not the best way to think about it. I took a class with 7'. It's perfectly fine. I dived 7' in Cabo. Perfectly fine. There's no need for a light canister or pouch or anything to keep it tidy. Just tuck it into your waist belt/harness. Once you tuck it in it becomes whatever length you want it to be. I could probably do up to 8' if I wanted to.

So long hose in rec may seem excessive to you or no problemo. You should try both sides out and see. But you definitely want to at least have an idea or know how to adapt to handling a long hose. Without a friend or a class, I'm afraid you are probably not going to like it.

On a personal note, I like the philosophy of primary donate and a really close backup. Least amount of training required to be proficient. In terms of hose length that's just a personal fit question.

Last edited:
I tried long hose a while back, and just didn't like it. I found the storage of the hose to be a faff and in my sort of rec diving not required. I don't dive overheads so air sharing in a line doesn't' apply.

However, the standard set up has it's limitations.

My choice, is 2 40" hoses. My primary is on a ball swivel and routes under the right arm, my secondary has a 90 swivel and routes under the left arm, with the Alt 2nd being on a rubber necklace.

I can share either, and the receiver can swim side by side - or have enough length for the SS with out being too far away.

I boat dive all the time and don't find these lengths a problem - either with the kit in the boat or taking kit off in the water. I do have clips on my hoses to keep my kit tidy on the boat

I like the fact that both hoses are tucked away, especially in big currents or on a scooter. Air sharing is really simple and comfortable, especially if I'm having to manage the receiver's buoyancy (only ever done during exercises)

That said I appreciate everyone is different

I tried long hose a while back, and just didn't like it. I found the storage of the hose to be a faff and in my sort of rec diving not required.
No faff for me. My 150cm primary hose routes down, under my right arm, across my chest and behind my neck. No stowing required.

And since I like to clip my camera rig left hip D-ring / right (or left, depending on the situation) shoulder D-ring on shore entry / exit, and also if I'm busy with something like shooting a dSMB, I appreciate that neither my primary nor my secondary is blocked or tangled by my camera.

I use a 5ft long hose. Short enough on my 5'5' body that there's no extra to have to stow. Short hose is 22" I think. Works for me.

I tried long hose a while back, and just didn't like it. I found the storage of the hose to be a faff and in my sort of rec diving not required. I don't dive overheads so air sharing in a line doesn't' apply.

However, the standard set up has it's limitations.

My choice, is 2 40" hoses. My primary is on a ball swivel and routes under the right arm, my secondary has a 90 swivel and routes under the left arm, with the Alt 2nd being on a rubber necklace.

I can share either, and the receiver can swim side by side - or have enough length for the SS with out being too far away.

I boat dive all the time and don't find these lengths a problem - either with the kit in the boat or taking kit off in the water. I do have clips on my hoses to keep my kit tidy on the boat

I like the fact that both hoses are tucked away, especially in big currents or on a scooter. Air sharing is really simple and comfortable, especially if I'm having to manage the receiver's buoyancy (only ever done during exercises)

That said I appreciate everyone is different

I think I may be biased here but I dive extensively in both a technical setup (twin 12's with at least one 12L stage -- and sometimes 2x 7 liter stages) and in a recreational configuration with a jacket and a more traditional regulator.

Given that I dive and train in both extensively I feel somewhat qualified to say that there are important differences but that they are context dependent.

My technical set is Hogarthian. The long hose is required because of conditions (the potential need to share air in single-file) but more importantly is that if two divers both wearing a truck load of gear are facing each other and "stuck" (I will call it stuck) in horizontal position, then sharing air with a short-hose octopus isn't happening.

Furthermore, it is required in technical diving to make the first hand-over from the regulator in your mouth because you KNOW the diver can breathe that and you may not have the time to figure out which of several gasses you should donate. Sharing air is usually done by either the receiver leading or the receiver holding on to your manifold and going for the ride. Either way, a short hose octopus isn't going to work for that.

In recreational diving we are able to get much closer to one another. We can swim shoulder to shoulder, which technical divers often are unable to do, and we can face one another in a vertical position while holding on right-to-right and sharing air. This gives us much more flexibility with respect to air sharing than a technical diver has.

To assert that since a technical diver has certain limitations with respect to air sharing means that ALL divers should account for these limitations is, to me, absurd. Alas, since 1992 this paradigm has slowly infiltrated the psyche of serious divers and we now see a lot of passionate arguments related to back-plates and wings and long hoses that are out of place, in my opinion, in a recreational context.

I know some of you will be thinking, "he knows just enough to be dangerous" but don't forget that I am a recreational instructor and a passionate technical diver. I dive both configurations extensively and I do feel qualified to compare them.

R..

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone out there uses the tech setup with the long hoes primary and Octo on necklace for recreational diving. I'm thinking of setting up my rec setup this way and wondering if there are any real cons to it from a recreational perspective.
I do.
I'm thinking of setting up my rec setup this way and wondering if there are any real cons to it from a recreational perspective.
The only 'con' I can possibly see is the length of the hose, and stowing. I personally think that is a minor issue - with proper routing, a 7' hose falls nicely for me (5'11") - but it seems to capture the attention of some as a con for whatever reason.

My individual thoughts on making it work smoothly:

1. As Storker and others have mentioned, make sure your buddy - insta or regular - knows how you plan to deploy the second stage (i.e. your primary) in the VERY unlikely event of an OOA situation. That shouldn't be an issue, either, but it seems to be raised at times. If you are swimming in proper horizontal trim, an OOA diver swimming to you is going to see ONLY what's in your mouth and they will either take it spontaneously, or wait for you to donate, so having them go for your bungeed necklace shouldn't be a problem. But, briefing the set-up before the dive is a good idea.

2. If you happen to have two equivalent second stages, and one has a yellow purge cover, make that one your primary. That way, it further lessens any confusion - an OOA diver will see that yellow thing in your mouth and go for it.

3. I like to run my long hose under a pocket that I keep on the right side waist strap of my harness. I use a stiff-back Halcyon pocket, but other pockets work fine. An alternative is a good-sized wreck reel clipped to the hip D-ring on that side. I can even use my EMT shears, on the waist strap, in a pinch. Yes, I can simply stow the loop of the long hose under the waist strap. But, I find that running it under something helps keep the hose nicely routed.

4. DON'T use a miflex 7' hose - way too floaty.

I set my daughter's rig up with a 40" primary hose and a necklace for her Octo. She loves it. Long hose is routed down her tank and under her right arm. Mine is similar but I have a combo Octo/inflator, so no necklace.

Back
Top Bottom