Long hose and ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NineGill

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this. Please let me know if this should be moved to another forum or deleted.

I like the idea of a Hogarthian setup even though I have no experience with this kind of rig yet. I'm already planning to purchase a back plate and wings. I also see the benefit of a long hose.

As far as alternates go, I understand the that the AIR2 and friends don't work if the inflator needs to be disconnected. Would someone let me know the downside to using a Sherwood Shadow as a secondary vs. a bungeed alternate?

It is the inflator hose so it works even if disconnected from the inflator/deflator vlave. I can kind of see the range of motion thing, but I frequently use and practice OOA with a Shadow and don't have a problem with comfort.

I realize that I'm treading on religious ground here, so please fell free to bash me, but don't bash each other. :flame:

Thanks,

I guess there's no problem if you don't mind having your buoyancy control device stuck in your mouth. Also, inflators have a tendancy to move around a bit so you might have to hunt for the reg a bit before you find it....

Thanks Dr. K,

I guess that brings up another issue - If I bungee the inflator down to the upper left harness D-ring, I suppose that would make it more difficult to to move the Shadow up to my mouth? Or does the bungee stretch enough that it won't matter?

So the advantages would be:
One less hose
No bungee around your neck (choking hazard?)

And the disadvantages would be:
Inflator in the mouth
Less comfortable
Less range of motion
No hands free use
Longer hose required

Am I missing anything else?

Where does this choking hazard people seem to mention all the time come from? I don't understand it....your reg is right under your mouth and is mounted there by numerous offerings of bungee cord/string whatever you want to call it around the back of your neck.....

Where is this Phantom choking hazard??????????

Dave Laws:
Thanks Dr. K,

I guess that brings up another issue - If I bungee the inflator down to the upper left harness D-ring, I suppose that would make it more difficult to to move the Shadow up to my mouth? Or does the bungee stretch enough that it won't matter?

So the advantages would be:
One less hose
No bungee around your neck (choking hazard?)

And the disadvantages would be:
Inflator in the mouth
Less comfortable
Less range of motion
No hands free use
Longer hose required

Am I missing anything else?
It would not make it easier, thats for sure...

IMO the list of disadvantages is far longer than the list of advantages. I'd ditch it and get the real deal.

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I have no experience with this setup, so your input is much appreciated. After reading your comments and searching around the board, I can see that the bungee "noose" pops off if you snag anything, so I guess that it would be highly improbable to choke. Maybe I'm just noose-o-phobic. :D

I just like to think about different setup options a little before I try them out. Maybe I'll have some of that DIR kool-aid after all. :eyebrow:

Dave Laws:
Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I have no experience with this setup, so your input is much appreciated. After reading your comments and searching around the board, I can see that the bungee "noose" pops off if you snag anything, so I guess that it would be highly improbable to choke. Maybe I'm just noose-o-phobic. :D

I just like to think about different setup options a little before I try them out. Maybe I'll have some of that DIR kool-aid after all. :eyebrow:
It's pretty good stuff, that Kool-Aid. Of course, I only drink from my personal stock...custom blend...

Dave Laws:
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this. Please let me know if this should be moved to another forum or deleted.

I like the idea of a Hogarthian setup even though I have no experience with this kind of rig yet. I'm already planning to purchase a back plate and wings. I also see the benefit of a long hose.

As far as alternates go, I understand the that the AIR2 and friends don't work if the inflator needs to be disconnected. Would someone let me know the downside to using a Sherwood Shadow as a secondary vs. a bungeed alternate?

It is the inflator hose so it works even if disconnected from the inflator/deflator vlave. I can kind of see the range of motion thing, but I frequently use and practice OOA with a Shadow and don't have a problem with comfort.

I realize that I'm treading on religious ground here, so please fell free to bash me, but don't bash each other. :flame:

Thanks,

Hi Dave,

As others have said the bungee around the neck is not a choking risk. It can be a bit entertaining (at least it was for my buddies when I first started) if you forget about the bungee when you doff your rig. As you and the rig seperate the bungee snaps free of the reg and smacks you in the mouth, ouch, but ones ego does recover.

The one less hose argument is baseless if one has the correct lenght lp hoses, no real extra drag.

What really bothers me about AirII's and all their various clones is the reality of when they will be used.

Think about it, An OOA diver comes to you and you donate the reg in your mouth, and start to breath off the AirII. Now the fun part, a controlled ascent. You now have to control the buoyancy of two divers. This is an unaccustomed mass. You get to do this while also breathing off the Piccalo like AIRII. How often do you get to practice this senario? Good buoyancy, and being able to hold a 15 ft Safety Stop is no small task mid water by yourself. Now do it with 2x the mass, while concurrently breathing from the AIRII.

Air II are the classic example of something that seems like a good idea, but upon closer examination are not.

Regards,

Tobin

Dave Laws:

you're unlikely to snag anything either with the backup reg, bungee or the hose to your first stage.

the bungee hose really doesn't cause any actual harm underwater, so removing it is not solving an actual problem, its just removing a hose *solely* for the sake of removing a hose, which can only introduce more problems.

a major benefit of the bungee necklace (done right) is that its always available in exactly the same location all the time. i've never had to fumble for my backup for even a fraction of a second.

you'll also notice all the bubbles around your neck and face if it starts to free flow on you while you're not breathing it.

embrace the kool-aid...

(and really this isn't just DIR kool-aid, *lots* of divers use long-hose + bungee backup who aren't DIR...)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom