Long hose for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please forgive the odvious "newbee" question but why on earth would you want to dive using the long hose as your primary? All the training I've had elsewhere says that #1 you look after yourself/keep yourself safe -ie in this case keep your primary in your mouth and breathing.

I only read the first page of this thread but with that in mind, you live in NJ according to your profile and I just moved from NYC and dove with many NJ divers for years. The long hose config is popular in the NE and you will see it and so will other divers. That said, I would urge you to consider having both of your regs of equal quality so that both divers are using something that makes them feel comfy under water in an emergency. I have never used an octo (the typical $50-100 jobs) that most new divers buy) that felt as nice and delivered air as smoothly and inspired as much confidence as my primary reg. Have fun and congrats to you both in advance!

Please forgive the odvious "newbee" question but why on earth would you want to dive using the long hose as your primary? All the training I've had elsewhere says that #1 you look after yourself/keep yourself safe -ie in this case keep your primary in your mouth and breathing.

Divers often debate whether the long hose, required for single file, air sharing exits in an overhead environment, is necessary in open water. I use the same 7' hose for everything, for consistency and convenience. The point of donating the regulator that you're breathing, though, is to ensure that the presumably stressed OOA diver is given a regulator known to be working and supplying the appropriate gas. You, as the donor, can more easily take a few seconds to sort things out, which usually just means grabbing the secondary which is hanging right there under your chin and stuffing it in your mouth.

hey thanks ron. I can see the logic in that.

I found that a 5' hose seems to interfere with anything on the right chest D-ring and switched to 7', if you have a right chest D-ring:) If you use a BP/wing almost anything on the right waist strap works to keep it in place, sometimes when diving minimal I just put the knife over there. Probably you have this figured out already after 19 pages of replies I couldn't bother to read:wink:

About 2 months ago I did a refresher class, I had'nt dived for 1.5 year and I wanted just to be sure of my game. I did the pool session with the rental gear and every time we did an OOA drill or gear removal I was critized by the instructor that I should "NEVER remove the reg from my mouth, or remove it AT THE LAST MOMENT". I let it go and did as he wanted. But later on I was think of what he would think about an OOA with a longhose, you need to give your primary. And seriously, if I'm OOA, what would a none working reg "HELP" to be in my mouth?

To the OP, try the long-hose route, maybe you'll like it. Buy the hose online if you like, since most dive shop "RAPE" you with hose prices. 50-55$ per hose is kinda expensive for a hose available online for 35$

About 2 months ago I did a refresher class, I had'nt dived for 1.5 year and I wanted just to be sure of my game. I did the pool session with the rental gear and every time we did an OOA drill or gear removal I was critized by the instructor that I should "NEVER remove the reg from my mouth, or remove it AT THE LAST MOMENT". I let it go and did as he wanted. But later on I was think of what he would think about an OOA with a longhose, you need to give your primary. And seriously, if I'm OOA, what would a none working reg "HELP" to be in my mouth?

To the OP, try the long-hose route, maybe you'll like it. Buy the hose online if you like, since most dive shop "RAPE" you with hose prices. 50-55$ per hose is kinda expensive for a hose available online for 35$

Your instructor was being an ass. People remove their regs all the time. Hell, it's one of the skills you have to do to pass OW. Seems like you had the right reaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom