Long Hose Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EIGHTWGT

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone - question ;

I have ben using a hog rig for a few months now and wondering why my long hose keeps catching on my first stage or whatever and keeps mt head movement restricted until I yank my reg out of my mouth and 'untangle' it........

I hope you guys know what I am reffering to... It's starting to make me thnk twice about using the long hose on my saltwater dives.......

Thanks

Tom

Are you routing the hose under your light canister and then CCW over your right shoulder? I don't ever recall ever having that issue.

EIGHTWGT:
my long hose keeps catching on my first stage or whatever
What do you mean by this? Do you mean somehow getting entangled with the first stage between the valve and your head, or somehow getting wrapped around the outside of the valve/first stage?
If the first case, it may be a regulator orientation/hose routing problem. If the second, it may be a regulator orientation/hose routing problem, a hose that's too loose, a "floaty" hose that's too loose, or a combination of all those.
If you can be a bit more specific in how the first stage and the hose are "catching" I may have some specific recommendations that may help :)
It would be especially useful if you could provide a picture of your regulator attached to a tank the way you dive it.
Rick

Hey Tom! If you're diving a single tank rig, maybe you have the tank and reg set-up a little too high. I'd also be curious about the routing. (I have mine coming around my right, coming across my middle body, around my head from the left to the right - finishing into my mouth. Do a look to the left with the reg in your mouth. Have any extra hose tucked into your webbing or past your light canister, on the right side. Should be tight enough...) If you have the correct routing and your tank is fitted right, I'm sorry I can't help unless you post a pic.

Good luck!

I never cared for the body wrap so I opted to bungie the excess hose on my right tank. You can do the same with a single. Two pieces of bungie on the tank and place the hose in the bungie like the letter S but closer together of course. Deployment gets no cleaner with zero opportunity for obstruction. If you are in a course or practicing air share drills obviously you will need to wrap the hose for the duration of your dive. In terms of a non-practice dive you would likely be surfacing with a low or out of air buddy anyway.

In terms of your problem with obstruction there could be several things on your rig that are causing the problem as others have suggested. You could have a buddy take a look at your suited up and deploy your reg to see what is catching.

--Matt

I think what he means is the "loop" around the back of his head, meaning he's got it too loose. Snug it up by pulling the part that comes across your chest, down, towards the canister (R/Hip). This will keep the loop around your head tighter, and preventing it from catching the first stage and hindering the "head turn to the left/yank reg out of mouth" situation.

Seen it happen a lot with people.

Scuba_Steve:
I think what he means is the "loop" around the back of his head, meaning he's got it too loose. Snug it up by pulling the part that comes across your chest, down, towards the canister (R/Hip). This will keep the loop around your head tighter, and preventing it from catching the first stage and hindering the "head turn to the left/yank reg out of mouth" situation.

Seen it happen a lot with people.

Steve, and everyone - I thnk steve nailed it..... I am hitting a pool tonight to have someone look and see what the cause is... I too believe the hose may be a lil loose therefore causing it to hangup....... I was about ready to go back to a short hose !

I am sure Ill figure it out..... I was glad to here Steve say he had seen it before.........

i just posted a topic on this about 1 week ago. i had the same problem. you need to take up the slack across you chest and tuck it into your waist harness. i had the problem were it was comming out because of the type of weight belt i was useing. i changed the weight belt and i havent had the same problem again...
just tuck that slack away any it will free up your movement and stop it from getting stuck. the last couple dives have been great.
look at this pic.
http://www.halcyon.net/images/pioneer_profile.jpg
he used his pocket to keep the lh from getting the slack

No prob bud, it's tough being me :D

<Gag> LOL

My method for getting all the slack out is to tuck the hose into my waist belt a bit, run it behind my neck and into my mouth, then turn my head all the way left and pull all the slack out down at the waist. This ensures full freedom of head movement with a minimum of slack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom