long hose-snap bolt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padipro:
A better place to post a question like this is The Deco Stop. It's much more technical then The Scuba Board.

But... as scuba_steve mentions, it's not a technical question :wink:

Tie the bolt snap into one of of the grooves between your hose and your reg. Personally I like to tie mine in the groove made by the hose swivel end. I have heard GUE instructors suggest tying it in the grove between the reg and the hose.

Another reason for the bolt snap is to clip your reg off if you are receiving gas from a buddy... or when walking to and from entry points. Basically any time your reg isn't in your mouth you should consider clipping it off.

Spectre:
Another reason for the bolt snap is to clip your reg off if you are receiving gas from a buddy... or when walking to and from entry points. Basically any time your reg isn't in your mouth you should consider clipping it off.

My Fundies instructor made us owe him a beer every time he caught the reg neither in our mouths nor clipped off :wink:

I'm still wondering why this is a technical question. Obviously lots of rec divers use a long hose, myself included, and we need a way to secure it when we're not breathing it...

Anyway, I have mine on the rubber part of the hose close to the end. If I put it any closer it gets in the way while I'm breathing it seems.

squee!:
can someone explain to me why you put a bolt snap on the primary regulator? In what situation would you want to clip it off? And .
A seven foot hose is one heck of a dangly in any situation..

jonnythan:
My Fundies instructor made us owe him a beer every time he caught the reg neither in our mouths nor clipped off :wink:.
That would be a non-alcoholic, vegetarian, organic DIR beer thought right?? :wink:

mempilot:
I usually clip mine off to Padipro's left d-ring. Is this wrong? :)

THAT'S WHY I HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLE KEEPING UP WITH EVERYONE ELSE, I'M DRAGGING YOU'RE SORRY BUTT AROUND BEHIND ME!!! :11:

As for it NOT being a technical question here, in South Florida at least, I can't remember ever seeing a recreational diver with a long hose other then me. It may be different in others areas of the country, or world, but here it's techie thing. I do agree that it's a good idea to use a long hose, even for recreational diving, and if you're using the long hose you should have a bolt snap tied to the reg on the long hose to clip it off when not in use. It's just that I've never seen a rec diver with one.

Padipro:
THAT'S WHY I HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLE KEEPING UP WITH EVERYONE ELSE, I'M DRAGGING YOU'RE SORRY BUTT AROUND BEHIND ME!!! :11:

As for it NOT being a technical question here, in South Florida at least, I can't remember ever seeing a recreational diver with a long hose other then me. It may be different in others areas of the country, or world, but here it's techie thing. I do agree that it's a good idea to use a long hose, even for recreational diving, and if you're using the long hose you should have a bolt snap tied to the reg on the long hose to clip it off when not in use. It's just that I've never seen a rec diver with one.

Up here in the northeast, as well as the 1000 islands area of Canada, it seems to be quickly becoming the norm. Vritually everyone I've been diving with this year (10 people?) as well as most of their regular buddies - virtually all of us rec divers - have been in long hose setups.

It's getting very, very common.

BTW, this is the Hogarthian forum.. and [depending on who you ask] the long hose/bungeed backup is standard for a hog rig, tech or not.

It's pretty easy to see the value and purpose of the long hose. Once you make the switch, you almost feel naked diving without it. Once you actually donate it, you live by it. I'm surprised the intro agencies haven't made the switch in their instruction. I made the switch about 8 months prior to getting into technical diving. It took about that long to bring all my gear up to spec for training. So I guess I was a long hose recreational diver for a while.

I have my snap secured with an o-ring on the rubber sleeve at the 2nd stage. I snap it off so it doesn't drag the ground on the long walk back to the van.

I'm just a recreational diver that switched to the long hose for ease of sharing air.

DrDuktayp

Originally Posted by jonnythan:
BTW, this is the Hogarthian forum.. and [depending on who you ask] the long hose/bungeed backup is standard for a hog rig, tech or not.
I thought hog meant the hose was only meant to be long enough to be able to put the reg in your mouth? Minimalism and all you know... :bangboom:

Longhose is pretty rare here in Sweden as well but is getting a more and more common sight among rec divers as well...Prolly ´cause it´s a "better" way to dive...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom