Long hose with camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a videographer who dives with a BP/W (DSS SS/Torus 26), always with a camera in my hands. I will soon be migrating to a 5' hose and losing my big, stupid yellow octopus forever. However, I'm by no means a DIR or technical diver (e.g., I love the stock rubber straps on my split-fins and my 3-gauge Mares console - Hey, save the bashing for another thread, buddy).

Anyway, I currently use two bungees on my camera - one clipped to each D-ring on my harness and each leading to the corresponding handle on the camera (there are a number of reasons for doing this vs. a single static lanyard, coil or wrist strap, but it's irrelevant to this thread - the idea came from this thread on Wetpixel).

My question is, first of all, is there a hose routing that will allow me to keep using the bungees while being able to safely deploy the long hose?

And assuming no, is the scooter D-ring or a shoulder D-ring (either shoulder, but only one and on the outside of the hose) pretty much the only responsible place for me to clip off the camera?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

You can still use the camera the way you have it. I would suggest though going to a 7ft hose and making sure that you route the hose AFTER you fasten the camera. This way you would still go across the chest and around the neck without trapping the hose and making it impossible to deploy quickly. Either that or go with the 5 and clip the camera off to one of the other drings you mentioned.

I do not see how the camera bungies are going to get in the way. Certainly the first step of the deployment where you remove the regulator and lift it over your head is not an issue. And at that point the out of air diver has air so the emergency is over and you slow down. At that point you could unclip one of the bungies if you had to.

I use the butt D-ring. Works great and the camera will lay on your butt or across the backs of your legs.

I'm a videographer who dives with a BP/W (DSS SS/Torus 26), always with a camera in my hands. I will soon be migrating to a 5' hose and losing my big, stupid yellow octopus forever. Congratulations! Just curious, though - why are you changing to a long hose configuration? However, I'm by no means a DIR or technical diver (e.g., I love the stock rubber straps on my split-fins and my 3-gauge Mares console - Hey, save the bashing for another thread, buddy).

Anyway, I currently use two bungees on my camera - one clipped to each D-ring on my harness and each leading to the corresponding handle on the camera (there are a number of reasons for doing this vs. a single static lanyard, coil or wrist strap, but it's irrelevant to this thread - the idea came from this thread on Wetpixel).

My question is, first of all, is there a hose routing that will allow me to keep using the bungees while being able to safely deploy the long hose? Ohh boy. At first blush you'd say sure, just make sure the long hose is on top of the bungees. I mean, the "Official DIR" routing for the light head is over the long hose now (I remember having to snake the lighthead under the long hose); that isn't a real hinderance to donation, so, it would be reasonable to expect the same for your camera configuration.

...Or maybe not. I can see a housing, with two strobe arms deployed, being a huge hinderance. Even one arm. "excuse me...just a sec...I'll deploy this gas you need right after I fold up these arms and whatnot..."

See below.

And assuming no, is the scooter D-ring or a shoulder D-ring (either shoulder, but only one and on the outside of the hose) pretty much the only responsible place for me to clip off the camera? Scooter should be ok, left shoulder should be ok, butt d-ring ok. I personally use the left hip. All of those, it's personal preference. Play with them until you find what works best for your style.

This goes back to the initial question: "why are you changing to a long hose configuration?". If it's just to look good, I would submit that you aren't really accomplishing anything useful. The same (to a slightly lesser extent) for switching just to be a conformist.

What's lost in all this is that the long hose gains you (personally) nothing. It's there for your buddy - it does do them a lot of good! For example, if you were a solo diver, you would stick with a nice short 24" hose, as it would be simple, no hassles to stow, lighter, etc.

So, the real reason for the long hose is to give your buddy gas in a hurry. If that's why you are switching to this configuration, it might be wise to examine your camera restraint options in that light, too.

All the best, James

Last edited:
My question is, first of all, is there a hose routing that will allow me to keep using the bungees while being able to safely deploy the long hose?

And assuming no, is the scooter D-ring or a shoulder D-ring (either shoulder, but only one and on the outside of the hose) pretty much the only responsible place for me to clip off the camera?

The scooter D ring is the best place to stow the camera if you looking to clear your chest area and avoid entanglement for shooting an SMB.
Video3.jpg

If your shooting video I would attach one lanyard from the camera to the LEFT chest D ring. This way, when you deploy the long hose using your right hand, unwrapping the hose from around your neck, and then fully deploying the hose, it will not wrap around the lanyard. The long hose will get tangled up if it were on the right D ring and using a coiled type bungee might make things a little worse. I personally like using a length of standard braided clothesline.

Video2.jpg

Hope this helps, if your interested in the (DIR) dark side without being bashed, PM me...

I've been using a seven foot hose for almost as long as I've been photographing underwater. I put the hose on first, then clip the camera to my right chest D-ring. It might take a split second longer to deploy the hose, but I've never been involved in an OOA emergency, and I've unclipped my camera thousands of times. Guess which one rests on the outside. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom