Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome on board. If you are interested in coming to the eastern end of the province, the St. Lawrence River is actually quite warm at this time of year (currently 73-74F). Lots of wrecks and great current for drift diving.

I’m known here for my love of cold water. :D

So, you're the crazy one, got it... <3 (meant with love). If I find myself in your shoes and end up loving cold water diving I'd be wearing that badge proudly too.

Welcome. We're headed to Little Cayman this January. Still some room and it will be a bit warmer.

I seen that! I considered it, but I have plans to go to Cozumel --> Playa Del Carmen (Cenotes) --> Bonaire in November... so my wallet will be a little light!

Greetings neighbour from just up Highway 8 (KW/Cambridge area). Welcome to Scubaboard.

Not sure about dive shops in Hamilton, but I do know that there is a great shop in Oakville if you ever happen to be in the GTA. The Dive Academy is a great shop and although I have never been on one of their trips, I do know that that go on several trips a year.

Greetings! This probably isn't the place for it, but I am looking to a new shop to drop a few grand at for new gear :p
Oakvilles a little out of my way but I do work in Burlington. so I've been looking at either Flag N' Float, Bobs Scuba, or Rek & Tek (where I did my OW). Rek and Tek is an obvious choice as I know Mitch from my OW

My problem is I know exactly what gear I want to get so to speak (Mk17/G260, and with a Halcyon/DSS/Dive-Rite/Oxycheq) BP/W, probably with a HOG Harness (unless I get the adjustable Halcyon)... I'm a 330lb person and I feel the ability to adjust to get in and out is required for me. I'm not yet sure about who sells what, who can service what brands... I'd prefer to build a good relationship with a good local shop :)

Welcome on board. If you are interested in coming to the eastern end of the province, the St. Lawrence River is actually quite warm at this time of year (currently 73-74F). Lots of wrecks and great current for drift diving.

There may be plans for this after Tobermorry!

@Canadian Chum Welcome. If you want to go diving - let me know I'm 3 hours to the west of you in the US.

Haha, nice! Michigan I assume? Just south of you in Ohio are a few Quarries my friend (in Indianapolis) and I plant to meet up at. Up until now him and I were happy with your Caribbean annual dive-trips.

Greetings! This probably isn't the place for it, but I am looking to a new shop to drop a few grand at for new gear :p
Oakvilles a little out of my way but I do work in Burlington. so I've been looking at either Flag N' Float, Bobs Scuba, or Rek & Tek (where I did my OW). Rek and Tek is an obvious choice as I know Mitch from my OW

My problem is I know exactly what gear I want to get so to speak (Mk17/G260, and with a Halcyon/DSS/Dive-Rite/Oxycheq) BP/W, probably with a HOG Harness (unless I get the adjustable Halcyon)... I'm a 330lb person and I feel the ability to adjust to get in and out is required for me. I'm not yet sure about who sells what, who can service what brands... I'd prefer to build a good relationship with a good local shop :)
The Dive Academy really is a great shop, and Dean, the owner has always given me the impression that he is more concerned with making sure that I leave happy than he is in getting the quick sale. (He sees the value in a long term relationship with his customer base.) It may be a little further than you want to go, but not much. He is only about 10 minutes up the QEW from where you would exit for Flag N' Float. He will also show you a "neat trick" to make a BP&W fully adjustable, and he is a Hog dealer. It might be worth it to give the shop a call and chat with him or to take the extra time and drop into the shop once.

One of the places that you mentioned, I found to be the exact opposite. They were far more interested in selling you what they wanted to sell, and really didn't care about what you want.

Another option that you might want to consider although it will also be a bit out of the way for you too is Tri-City Scuba in Kitchener. Drew is also a great guy who places priority on developing a long term customer base even if that means that he might miss out on the quick one time sale.

@Hoag

Thank you for you the recommendation, I'll have to check out Dean's shop!
No problem. It is worth it to drop in if for no other reason than to see how he rigs the harness on BP/Ws to give maximum adjustability. It is pretty slick & when I switched to a BP/W, I set mine up that way.

Dan's Dive Shop is nearby in St Catherines. Dan's Dive Shop Scuba Diving Courses and Dive Gear in Ontario Canada Highly recommended. They carry all the major mfrs. Regardless of whom you buy from ask for a discount. If you don't ask you don't get.
Bonaire is a great pick. Go Sunwing. Stay north of town if possible to stay away from the Cruise ships. Also consider Curacao. More direct flights from Canada and also excellent shore and boat diving. Also I second the St Lawrence River around Brockville. Mid 70 degree F water temps with no thermoclines (I dove in a 3mm full length wet suit and was fine). Cool to see the 19th century wrecks. Viz is ok from 10-20 feet. Not as clear as Tobermory though. Sounds like you are going to have a blast in 2019. Enjoy and dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom