longer primary hose after getting an air2 - what length and type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to get a longer primary hose after getting an air2.

I was thinking of getting a miflex and looping it. Probably a 1.2m hose.

thoughts?

That depends on your necessity .

If you are cave diving and possibly have to give your buddy air while passing trough a narrow passage in a single file your'e gonna need a longer hose.
For open water that will probably be enough, its basically a question of comfort and preference.

I personally prefer the mi-flex hoses and i have a 1.2m hose on my Octo, i find it fits my needs the most.

Reactions: Jay
I switched to an 2.2M hose this past season and love it. Before that I was using a 40 inch (101.6cm) with a 90-degree adapter. Both work well but the 1.2M hose works better for the type of diving I have been doing this season. the 40 inch is now on my daughter's regulator.

With primary donate, I like having my backup regulator on a necklace relatively just under my chin....that way if my reg is pulled out by an OOA diver or if I donate it for any reason there is next to distance between my mouth and my backup, and little possibility for it to be fouled up with any other gear.

-Z

Sorry, don't know where my brain was at...I switched to 2.2m hose this past season not a 1.2. (original response has been edited to reflect correct measurement).

I don't understand how you would "loop" a 1.2m hose...it will not be long enough to loop across your body and up around the back of your neck....you can run a 1.2m(@ 47 inches) down from the regulator and up under your right arm...it will be a bit long for this configuration as typically one would use a 1 meter (or 40 inch) hose in this configuration and often with a 90 degree adapter between the hose and the 2nd stage as I mentioned in my previous post.

What is the connection between your desire for a longer primary hose with the use of your air2? Is it because you expect that you will donate your primary and then switch to your air2? The whole regulator integrated with power inflator just seems like royal mess to me...but if that is what floats yer boat then who am I to judge.

I have my octo on a 66cm (26 inch) hose hanging under my chin by a bungee necklace for the reasons I explained in my previous response...I dive a single tank setup and had my octo on a 22 inch hose but found it a bit too short. The 26 inch is working out perfect.

-Z

What is the connection between your desire for a longer primary hose with the use of your air2? Is it because you expect that you will donate your primary and then switch to your air2?

Correct.

Was just starting to play with a 1.2m piece of string to check, and then was also going to ask best ways to loop (quick access / safety etc) :)

p.s. no cave diving. Just OC Rec and a little wreck quasi swim throughs.

What was your inclination for obtaining the air2?

If you don't already have a hose then I would recommend the 1m/40 inch with adapter setup...I found it comfortable and liked the way the hose routed.

-Z

What was your inclination for obtaining the air2?

just preference :). (better not start an Air2 thread ... already risking it having miflex and air2 in a post!)

Although I am not a fan of the integrated inflator and Octo, I am a fan of folks getting out and blowing bubbles. If a specific piece of gear gets you out and enjoying your hobby then that is great.

For what its worth...all my hoses are mi-flex type hoses except for my drysuit inflator hose, that one is a regular rubber hose so I don't mistakenly attach my drysuit hose to my power inflator and then the LP hose meant to be routed to be my power inflator connected to my dry suit which will cause me to stand there and wonder why things don't feel right....it also facilitates getting the hoses routed properly when setting up in the dark.

-Z

Correct.

Was just starting to play with a 1.2m piece of string to check, and then was also going to ask best ways to loop (quick access / safety etc) :)

p.s. no cave diving. Just OC Rec and a little wreck quasi swim throughs.

Congratulations on your Air2, I've been certified for over 30 years and never dove with anything else.

I have to admit, until I became much more aware of the longer primary hose mentality as exhibited here on ScubaBoard, I dove with the hose length that came with my Sherwood Oasis.

With the new found perspective provided by the experts here, I recently changed to a 44 inch Miflex hose for my primary.

I chose that length for a couple of reasons. First, it allows me to be an approximate arm's length from the diver I have donated to; and second, it is the proper length to route under my right arm without having to move to a more elaborate storage process.

I dive only recreationally, with the occasional guided Yucatan cenotes.

I use a 40" primary hose and a swivel with my air 2. It'll go under my arm, but if I purchased again I'd do a 44" for just a little more length.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom