Looking at new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ioncloud9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been using Mares Raptor fins for almost a year now. They are decent. They actually seem to work decent but its hard to compare to anything else. (I guess I kinda want a new toy haha)

I'm considering getting another pair and I don't mind spending a little bit of money on them. Right now the two I'm considering are the Mares XStreams and the Tusa Hyflex Switch. The nice things I like about the Mares is I currently have Mares and can easily move my bungee straps to it, it seems to work very well with many different types of kicks, and people still seem to buy them despite failing around 500 dives or so. Im not worried about that, by 500 dives buying a new pair of fins will be well worth it.

The Hyflex Switches appear to be newer and I like how they break down for ease of transport and travelling. They also seem to have been very highly rated in their reviews, and kick with the ease of a split despite being a paddle fin. Thats great for me since my knees have issues.

Has anyone used either of these fins or has anything to say about them?

I have the Tusa Hyflex Switch and love them; I had the Mares Volo Power before and the Tusa's are just as powerful but lighter and slightly shorter and obviously much easier to pack if you take the foot off. For me, the key is whether I'm ever thinking about my fins. With the Tusas, I don't, just keep diving. Highly recommend them.

Anybody looking at buying new fins, should at least have a look at these as a consideration before making a final choice:

Deep 6 Eddy Fin

I have let 4 other instructors try mine and every one of them then went and bought a pair for themselves. Including one who is my shop's owner and could dive anything we sell in the store at basically no cost. Even he paid full retail to get a set of the Eddy fins.

I have the Tusa Hyflex Switch and love them; I had the Mares Volo Power before and the Tusa's are just as powerful but lighter and slightly shorter and obviously much easier to pack if you take the foot off. For me, the key is whether I'm ever thinking about my fins. With the Tusas, I don't, just keep diving. Highly recommend them.
Pretty sure the Tusa's were Scuba Mag's Tester's Choice last year.

Pretty sure the Tusa's were Scuba Mag's Tester's Choice last year.

Yeah I read that as well. I was wondering if anyone had any used one or the other or both as a comparison. Maybe I'll buy both. You can never have too much gear right?

Back
Top Bottom