Looking at this reel. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Invader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Aluminum and FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic).

https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/HKG/accessories/other-gear/products/scubapro-reel.aspx

As a side note (and why I picked this one out of the bunch) I am unable to curl the fingers in my left hand due to a resection that occurred in 2016, and removed 90% of the muscle in my forearm, and jacked up my tendons. I qualified scuba in this condition, and have progressed through sidemount and AN/DP just fine with some modifications. This setup will allow me to hold it and reel/unspool as necessary, while maintaining positive control.

I have tried holding standard reels, and would have to modify them into a similar configuration to make them work, but this one is already setup.

Any thoughts to durability/longevity, ease of use, etc?

Attachments

• reel.jpg
    reel.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 189
If it works for you, why not use it? All else being equal, I don't think I'd like it either.

Hi @Invader

I could not open your link, but found the reel on the Scubapro website. Personally, I think that you should use any equipment that allows you to succeed, despite your limitations. Scubapro, in general, has very good, high quality products.

All my support to you,

Craig

So you’ve got a special situation.

to my eye, it looks like it’ll be easy to jam. There is likely some clearance wider than the width of the line between the spool and the reel body. Any slack line will get in there and cause you grief. Also, the meta bracket holding the clip has to go. That’s an easy fix though.

It’s not terrible, and because of your situation, it might work out just fine. Just be extra mindful of slack line.

So you’ve got a special situation.

to my eye, it looks like it’ll be easy to jam. There is likely some clearance wider than the width of the line between the spool and the reel body. Any slack line will get in there and cause you grief. Also, the meta bracket holding the clip has to go. That’s an easy fix though.

It’s not terrible, and because of your situation, it might work out just fine. Just be extra mindful of slack line.
You have to be very careful with slack line with any reel. I use a Manta Jr with my dive flag in SE Florida. I have been able to foul it at least a half dozen times in about as many years. I would say that it was essentially my fault. I have used this reel a lot, I would say something like 600 or more dives.

A reel that solves @Invader problems is worth trying. What's the worst that could happen, it fails?

If it works for your situation and you like the reel, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I like and use Manta reels.

the meta bracket holding the clip has to go

Why? How would you attach the clip to the reel if you remove the bracket?

I have been using one for the past 10 years and it works well. You need to rinse it well and work the buttons on it when rinsing it. I use it for the DSMB.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom