Looking at this reel. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it works for your situation and you like the reel, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I like and use Manta reels.
So the the problem is, what do you do if you foul the reel and it is stuck during drift dives? If you are at depth, it is not such a problem, you can almost always reel it back in and deal with it later. What if it is fouled and you need to go deeper for that dive? That's actually an easy fix. Attach your DSMB spool to your reel and use the extra line for your depth. Kind of funny watching your reel floating above you for the dive but solves the problem. You just reel in the spool at the end of the dive and then reel in your fouled reel. You don't have to guess how I know this :)

So you’ve got a special situation.

the meta bracket holding the clip has to go.

That's the bracket that made me choose this. It's the position my hand would need to be in to use it. If there are other, similarly set up reels (not sidewinder style/goodman style) I'm all ears.

Why? How would you attach the clip to the reel if you remove the bracket?
Metal to metal connections like that can’t be cut free if the clip jams.

the bracket is just held on by a simple nut and bolt. Unscrew, remove bracket, tie on clip OR tie a little bungee loop so you can use a double ender. Remove double ender when in use (one less thing to get snagged on), replace when youre done using it to clip it off.

That's the bracket that made me choose this. It's the position my hand would need to be in to use it. If there are other, similarly set up reels (not sidewinder style/goodman style) I'm all ears.
Dont know if it would work for you. I've seen people use their hand through some side handled reels, essentially palming it. I wanna say it was the older Ralph Hood reels that the opening was large enough.

Dont know if it would work for you. I've seen people use their hand through some side handled reels, essentially palming it. I wanna say it was the older Ralph Hood reels that the opening was large enough.

Interesting Idea. Would work if the handle was vertical, I would think.

Metal to metal connections like that can’t be cut free if the clip jams.

the bracket is just held on by a simple nut and bolt. Unscrew, remove bracket, tie on clip OR tie a little bungee loop so you can use a double ender. Remove double ender when in use (one less thing to get snagged on), replace when youre done using it to clip it off.

I mistook it for the larger bracket. I'm down with doing it with line instead of that little circlip.

What makes you want that ScubaPro version?
The handedness? Grip? Handle style? Something else?

I understand you have some grip issues with a hand. Trying to figure how that plays into what you are looking at. I've seen a lot of people with body parts there weren't there or didn't work do some amazing stuff. Don't want to rule anything out or make bad assumptions.

What makes you want that ScubaPro version?
The handedness? Grip? Handle style? Something else?

I understand you have some grip issues with a hand. Trying to figure how that plays into what you are looking at. I've seen a lot of people with body parts there weren't there or didn't work do some amazing stuff. Don't want to rule anything out or make bad assumptions.

The fact the handle is vertical with respect to how the line leaves the reel. This way I can hold it and reel it, without the line going in on the top or bottom of the reel. I can hold my hand in a 90 degree angle, and put my fingers through the handle, and still use the reel.

All the other reels I see (that are worth a ****) are in-line with the long axis of the handle, or have a bent handle that is over the reel instead of behind it.

It's the pinching/grasping motions I can't do.

Having used ratchet, classic, and side Handle designs, i do prefer the side, but if ratchet works for you, good!
For the ratchet take a look at the kent tooling in UK

Piece of rubbish!
Have seen couple of discarded one with entangled line many yrs ago!
Incredible it is still available!

There are better options!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom