Looking at this reel. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kent Tooling has some amazing reels and he ships worldwide. Its so solid and well designed it also doubles as a weapon.

I was all about to order till this....I paid 1/4 of that to ship my entire drysuit and appurtenances over from the UK.
upload_2020-10-7_7-1-55.png

I have been using one for the past 10 years and it works well. You need to rinse it well and work the buttons on it when rinsing it. I use it for the DSMB.

The issue is metal on metal connections. You need to be able to cut off any piece of equipment that you've got clipped to your body. Just tie the clip on once you've removed the bracket. Heck, there's a nice little hole in the body to tie cave line through.

The fact the handle is vertical with respect to how the line leaves the reel. This way I can hold it and reel it, without the line going in on the top or bottom of the reel. I can hold my hand in a 90 degree angle, and put my fingers through the handle, and still use the reel.

All the other reels I see (that are worth a ****) are in-line with the long axis of the handle, or have a bent handle that is over the reel instead of behind it.

It's the pinching/grasping motions I can't do.
OK, that makes a bit more sense now. I wish I had an answer for you but I will be honest, I don't.

Now if we can get others to understand the requirements and not just bash for the sake of bashing or being fan boys of what they bought, this thread might actually be useful. Looking for a reel based on grip requirements that are different than typical.

The issue is metal on metal connections. You need to be able to cut off any piece of equipment that you've got clipped to your body. Just tie the clip on once you've removed the bracket. Heck, there's a nice little hole in the body to tie cave line through.

Replace the metal bracket with cave line to attach the clip to the reel and all is good. That is simple enough :)

Thank you @kensuf

Too complicated. Too many failure points. Too susceptible to jamming.

So you bash it. fine.
Do you have anything that meets his needs?
Unfortunately there is not always a solution to everyone's problems
I've personally owned reels like that. They jam all the time. I have two fully-functioning hands, and a reel like that was difficult to manage. And complicated reels like that eventually fall apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom