Looking for a advice on a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be curious to see what a "typical" (if there is such a thing) SS BP/W setup weighs as compared to my Zeagle Brigade.

LOL,,good luck on defining 'typical'. The beauty of the BPW system is you can customize it to your hearts content {and then change it just for grins}
Probably better to ask (poll) a double question of 'How much does your BPW weigh and what type of diving is it used for?'

For me,,my spearfishing BPW is a total christmas tree stroke setup at 21 pounds with everything attached (including 6cuft pony & VHF radio)
My Vacation alum BPW is just 4 lbs.

If that helps you, I got recently a 40lbs Halcyon for single cylinder. Now I think I should have gotten the 30lbs instead even though I do cold water diving as well but it’s not so much of a big deal. The wing is a bit big but I don’t think it is so much an issue.

The thing to remember is that you will have to buy a different wing if you do not do single cylinder in the future.

The shape of the twin-set wing is different and wider as the air has to be around the cylinders.

If you do sidemount I think you’ll need yet another setup. (Don’t quote me on this as I don’t know anything about sidemount)

I have seen sometimes wings on sale on the Facebook market place but they tend to get sold quickly l

Must have a shoulder dump cos when you go buoyant hose lifting just doesn't cut it

Why is this a "must"? My BP/W has two places to dump, rear dump valve the the power inflator/deflator. I have no issues with dumping air whether I am in the tropics with just a swimsuit or 3mm wetsuit or if I am in my drysuit in cold water. Same is true with diving doubles or carrying a pony bottle on my back. A shoulder dump valve is NOT mandatory nor is it a must.

Mate you've already quoted the answer

“cos when you go buoyant hose lifting just doesn't cut it”

Or when new people and not so new people and even new people that were new people very long ago, find
themselves in a pickle with too much air in the bcd and closer to the surface or maybe not closer to the surface

I'll take your:

1. Find the inflator

2. Decipher inflator buttons (and I'll give you this one for free) 2a. As you are hose lifting.

3. Push the correct button

4. Wait

The arse dump I''ll just discard because the only time your hand spends behind your back in you life is for scratching, tied up, handcuffed, and looking for a dump valve, by which time you find it, realise you're not
inverted enough to use it, and you've gone too far up in the water column already, so you can wipe that.

and I raise you:

1. Grasp the inflator hose along any of its more than one foot length and pull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah baby!!!!!!!!! I'm deflating, "Going down!"

4. Immediately

So have a look past what you do with all your things
and have a look at what may be appropriate for others
perhaps less trained than you and wishing to avail themselves
of the most proficient method for dumping air an an emergency
or otherwise

but to clarify, you see all the people I see underwater, including the divers
tend to cruise around, and up and down, with their shoulders higher than their arse

and by heavens to murgatroyd if they lose their perspective and suddenly find themselves uncomfortably buoyant whether they're fundified glorified or undefined or otherwise muscle memory trained or constricted or conflicted there is only one way despite the brain, and with regards to physics and it's laws, that dictate that pulling the inflator hose to dump from the shoulder is the fastest and most effective way to emergency dump air or not emergency dump air

Now whilst people popping to the surface willy-nilly like groundhogs on a golf course
isn't predominant in my ocean boat diving enclave, it's still advisable to keep the brain
open man and avail the people the opportunity to make their own decision whether
to decide to incorporate the most efficient fastest slowest bestest way to dump air, in
their bcd buying adventures

You see hose lifting has been maintained from days of yore where there was
no shoulder dump, like when was the fingers, the thumb the chisel the abacus
pencil calculator and computer
but now is a training crutch you see, taught to the new ones
so the instructor can see that his pride is attempting to go down
or attempting to go up.

If one chooses to remain in this umbilical state past class

Good luck from Tropoja

and one day soon with open minds and without the crutch of reincarnated history youse all may achieve bliss and spend most of the dive cruising around with your hands in your pockets nirvana like appreciating the plenty finer things the underwater world has to offer

full.jpg

THE SHOULDER DUMP DUMPS AIR FASTEST EASIEST

AND SLOW EASIEST

UNLESS INVERTED

WHICH MOST PEOPLE RARELY ARE

EVEN DIVERS

Dumping air from the shoulder where the air is efficiently

See discarding such an invaluable tool because Simon said
is just like walking around diving with a bucket on your head

Installing arse dumps in all bcds that don't have them is a must

@happy-diver :rofl3:
That was an amazing post. Best laugh I had today. I mean, I just woke up but still ...
Seriously. Probably the best use of colorful imagery I've seen in an SB post. Mostly nonsense but still ...

EDIT: Even if you were trolling, I still want to thank you for the laugh.

EDIT part 2: I'm going to report my own post for snark as this is in Basic and we're not supposed to do that. Although, I feel that rule is more to not do that to new members' questions - I think the law's on my side as far as responding to egregious misinformation goes, especially from folks who list themselves as having >1000 dives.

There really isn't any need to buy new gear, especially for something like a backplate. You can buy used right here on this forum and piece together something better suited for you than something off the shelf and save you some cash.

So I've been diving a Oxycheq Mach V for several years for single steel tanks. Love it. I have 800 dives on my wing (mostly freshwater) and it is still holding up with minor fading. I have a friend with the Halcyon wing and it seems made of less durable stuff to me. I've been diving wings for 30+ years. Cave Adventures has them.

1. Grasp the inflator hose along any of its more than one foot length and pull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is incorrect. The shoulder dump is controlled by a cable inside the corrugated hose that is connected to the power inflator. To release air from the bcd via the shoulder dump you have to grab the inflator and pull, not anywhere along the hose. If you pull too hard you can damage the valve and/or bcd (history would indicate that this is rare, but it happens). I personally find it comforting to see the bubbles exiting the inflator if I am buoyant when I don't want to be. It's also nice to know if no bubbles are exiting (because the bcd is empty) because then you know you need to go to plan B.

Back
Top Bottom