Looking for a bcd without high side''chaps''?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys,

I've recently joined a CMAS diving club in my hometown and am starting to really get into diving and working on my first star right now.
I've been looking into buying my first bcd, but I've no clue what I should buy.
Up to now all the bcd's I've been using in practice are bcd's with really high sides.(like the flaps on the sides)
A cressi s111 and some old mares bcd.

During underwater exercises where you remove the bcd and put it back on I always feel like it does take me quite a bit longer to take of the bcd with the high sides.
I haven't experienced it yet, but I feel like in a high stress situation in a real dive it might restrict me partially if time is of the essence. Especially since in Belgium I'll be doing all my open water dives in cold water so with 7mm + undersuit meaning I will have slightly restricted movement in the first place.

I've looked a bit online and found the oceanic biolite the be alot more spacious on the sides. Are there any bcd's that are similar and allow more room for movement on the sides that are suitable for beginners?

Many of the back inflate BCD's will have lower side panels. The Biolite is very uncluttered.

Not sure which options are useful for you in Belgium, I am a fan of backplate and wing. next best thing for uncluttered would be a back-inflate BCD like the following:

Cressi Ace (cheaper in Europe)

71VEdfvoghL._SY355_.jpg

Scubapro Litehawk:

22.220.x51.jpg

Apeks Black Ice (Apeks is substantially cheaper in Europe than US, good quality)

black_ice_1.jpg

There are a number of reasons for choosing among the various types BCs, with lots of discussion here. I've been using a BP/W since my first dive after OW and like it for the way it helps to keep me flat in the water, among other things. Speeding up an exercise that you'll likely never perform outside of class doesn't seem all that important and would be the least of my concerns.

There are a number of reasons for choosing among the various types BCs, with lots of discussion here. I've been using a BP/W since my first dive after OW and like it for the way it helps to keep me flat in the water, among other things. Speeding up an exercise that you'll likely never perform outside of class doesn't seem all that important and would be the least of my concerns.
To me it's not really about the exercise, it's about being able to get out of the bcd and dump everything in an emergency situation, or adjust the tank in the situation where by accident it's slipping etc, whatever the reason may be. It's more about being able to do it in the rare case that it might be necessary. However I do realise I will probably never need to do this, but it's still reassuring to know that you could do it if necessary

I don't doubt that it is a useful skill to have, and occasionally important to be able to do. Choosing your gear in order to optimize it for this one particular scenario, though, is probably an over reaction. After all, most of the time you are just going to be diving with your BC, not taking it off and putting it back on under water.

A couple of things to consider:

If you get a backplate BCD, I'm not sure I would consider it to be super airline friendly for travel. A steel backplate could easily add 10 - 12, or more, pounds to your bag. You might find a carbon fiber backplate, but that adds $$$. Also, using the crotch strap will also add a level of difficulty to your task.

If you get a BCD with integrated weights, that may add to your difficulty of removal and replacement. Plus, you need to learn to hang on to the BCD a little tighter, as that's what is holding you down.

Youtube may be a good way to improve your skills by watching others with their techniques. For what it's worth, I like my AquaLung Zuma BCD. I did have to get used to a back inflate BCD, since I was used to renting jacket style BGD's. The back inflate naturally pitches you forward, instead of bobbing upright.

Good luck!

AL plate weighs 2 (or less) pounds spread evenly across your back.

Right now the decision is between the Scubapro Litehawk(Can get it in promotion in LDS for 278 euros,+ -320 USD) or a Apeks WTX 30 (380 dollar aluminum plate included). I'm just wondering if the people at my diving club won't look at me like I'm some crazy person if I tell them I've bought a backplate + wing as a beginner...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom