Looking for a DIR-F training buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome! You get to see yourself underwater, as there is a butt load of video review! Hit us up once we're able to dive again!

In regards to your drysuit. Make sure the exhaust is in the correct position and rotated more toward the tricep. Some of the Bare drysuits have the exhaust valve direclty ontop of the bicep, which makes venting in a horizontal position, nearly impossible. You will want at self donning drysuit. The shoulder entry drysuits force the placement of the exhaust valve on to the bicep. Nearly everyone dives a DUI drysuit (TLS350 or FlexExtreme), although I do see a few Santis. Makes sense though, the local retailers favor DUI as recognized drysuit brand.

Don't worry about the dive computer. People place too much emphasis on the bells and whistles of a dive computer. As long as it provides, depth, time and has a resettable timer, you're good to go. The course will emphasize planning the dives, in terms of gas consumption, nitrogen loading and various other parameters. Once you're comfortable with that, it honestly won't matter what you have on your wrist, although you'll see that some computers have screen layouts that are easier to understand and have control interfaces that are easier to use.

My computer debate is more of "do I buy a straight up bottom timer, or do I get all fancy and spring for a high-dollar Aladin Sport Matrix to use in gauge mode?" haha. A Shearwater sounds great, and boy do they look nice, but wholly unnecessary for my diving at this point. I'm trying to slip back into diving on the cheap (hah!), while I finish paying off some house projects and whatnot.

Drysuit will probably be the next "big" purchase, but that's probably at least a couple months off at this point. Seems like the basics (trilam, front zip, telescoping torso) are easy, but that's the point the options really start to flourish, both in brand choice and how to accessorize.

I saw a Fundies class 2 weekends ago... They are happening. Enough reading about it and jump in already.

Hey CuriousRambler,
I recently got my OW certification, and I am looking for buddies to work on the basics with as well. Because of COVID, I am floating between Monterey and Sacramento. I am open to diving most places in NorCal. I am taking a trip to Hawaii until mid-March (hopefully will get some great dives in!) but will be looking to dive again in NorCal in March/April. Based on your comments, this timing might work for both of us. I think Tech diving sounds awesome but I know I am a little a ways from that. Anyways, let me know if you're interested in diving together!

@Christian Briggs ,

Bad news. The OP is moving out of the area and is selling his gear. In fact, he has listed all his equipment on the "classified" section of this forum. The OP was focusing his training more on DIR style of diving. Bear in mind DIR does not imply technical diving, although it traces its beginnings in technical diving, and if I recall correctly, in cave diving. Did you want to migrate to DIR or were you simply looking to improve your basic skills while exploring the local spots?

Hopefully, you get to dive around Ni'ihau. Just saw some recent footage and it looks breath taking.

O.

@Christian Briggs ,

Bad news. The OP is moving out of the area and is selling his gear. In fact, he has listed all his equipment on the "classified" section of this forum. The OP was focusing his training more on DIR style of diving. Bear in mind DIR does not imply technical diving, although it traces its beginnings in technical diving, and if I recall correctly, in cave diving. Did you want to migrate to DIR or were you simply looking to improve your basic skills while exploring the local spots?

Hopefully, you get to dive around Ni'ihau. Just saw some recent footage and it looks breath taking.

O.

Got it. Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, I just plan on improving my basic skills at the local spots. I'll look up Ni'ihau! Thanks for the recommendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom