Looking for a dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLOCLVL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi;
I'm planning a trip to the Whangarei area in New Zealand. I'm thinking of Dive! Tutukaka for a charter.
I was wondering if any divers in that area would be willing to take an out of towner with them or their club,as sometimes the charters don't take you to the best spots.
I am PADI certified with my advanced ticket and just under 100 dives at this point.
I won't be going until April 2011, which is still awhile away,but I'm just checking to see if anyone would be willing.
All I will be taking for gear is my Reg, mask and maybe fins.So I will have to hire everything else.

Let me know
Thanks

I wouldn't be too worried about the charters not taking you to the "best" spots... the reality is that they will take you to the best spots, based on the weather on the day. Criticisms in the past have been directed at some of the charters for going to the same spots. Blue Mao Mao Arch, for example, is a common spot for the charters to take people. And it is one of the best dive sites at the islands. But when you dive it every time you go it's a bit limited.

You'll definitely have a great couple of days if you went with Dive! Tutukaka, they are very well set up for people coming from overseas.

April 2011 is a bit far ahead for me to commit to diving on a particular day.... but in general, I'm open to the idea!

I realize it is far in advance and I do hear nothing but good things about Dive! Tutukaka.
As things get closer I'll be able to narrow in on a time line myself.
Anyway thanks for the response and maybe if things work out for your schedule and mine we might see it possible to hook up and do a dive.

Many thanks from Canada

You should look at travelling a little further north than Whangarei as well. The Bay of Islands offer some great diving sites, including the Canterbury and Rainbow Warrior wrecks.
Northland Dive or Paihia Dive should be able to look after you.

Thanks Down Under;
If i was left to me I would dive the entire coast but we are on a very short schedule.
I appreciate the fact that there are probably many, many dive sites worth investigating in N.Z. but we only have three days in total available for pleasure and my wife does not dive so I can not spend all of my time in the water.
We are already booked into a hotel in Whangarei and have made contact with Dive Tutukaka.

P.S. If I did manage to talk her into letting me go up that far would you be willing to guide me on a local dive disregarding the dive shops?
Is there a dive shop that rents out gear in your area?

I do thank you for your suggestions

BLOCLVL

If you are up here during a weekend, I could take you to a spot or two. There is a shop close that you could hire some gear.

We are already booked into a hotel in Whangarei and have made contact with Dive Tutukaka.

The guys at D!T will definitely look after you. April 2011 is a little less far away now, you must be excited!? I will know in February what my committments are through until June, so can give you an idea of whether I'm free or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom