Looking for a dive resort on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drmark920

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi fellow divers. We are returning to Oahu for 5 days and I'm looking for an actual "dive resort" like they have in other locations like Cozumel; a place to stay where they have boat diving from the resort and shore diving AT the resort. I haven't found any listings for such. If you know of one please chime in. Other suggestions are also appreciated. Thanks.
DrMark920
PADI Master Diver

I don't think there are any. Hawaii isn't really a Dive resort destination. The closest thing I've seen is some hotels have a dive operator either on-site or nearby - often if they're located on a shore dive site. Most of the boats leave from harbors nearby at any of the islands.

If you're not set on Oahu, there are resorts with shore diving on Maui or the Big Island. A few have on-site operators and two that I can recall have a good shore dive off their beach - the Sheraton Black Rock or Grand Wailea Resort. Both sit on known shore dive sites. But are not dive resorts - I don't even know if they have a bundled dive option. Neither has boat diving at the resort - it's a short drive away in either Lahaina or Kihei.

Waikoloa Coast Divers keeps their boat on the grounds of the Waikoloa Hilton on the Big Island. IDK if/what their shore dive is like. The Marriott is nearby also.

No such place here.

Thank you diversteve. We are already booked for flights to Oahu. It was where my wife and daughter wanted to go. I did my advanced open water and rescue diver on Maui and would have preferred going back there. Thank you again for responding and sharing your wisdom. I will hunt for dive shops associated with hotels. Best wishes for a wonderful New Year.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 12:46 AM ----------

Thank you Dr Lecter. I appreciate your update. Are you aware of any hotels with good shore diving that have dive shops in them or close to them?
Dr Mark

Great question Doc.. Winter bound Wisconsinites always dream of leaving here and going some place warm & sandy. Current temp -6*

I don't know anything about the diving there but Aquazone is located at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. AQUAZONE.NET

Oahu doesn't have dive resorts, but many of the dive companies will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the boat. There are only a few shore dive sites and none that I am aware of are at any of the hotels.

Great question Doc.. Winter bound Wisconsinites always dream of leaving here and going some place warm & sandy. Current temp -6*
Dear Cheddarchick- minus 6! I'm in Seattle where I just finished dry suit certification and diving: Air temp 45 and water temp 49. Heading back to the frozen tundra with some hesitancy. But at least it's not minus 30 :).

Thank you Dr Lecter. I appreciate your update. Are you aware of any hotels with good shore diving that have dive shops in them or close to them?
Dr Mark

I don't think there's anything like that on Oahu, and given the Japanese tourist industry churn in/around Waikiki I would suggest avoiding it even if you could find it. You don't say when you're coming, but the entire North Shore is pretty much shot for diving until April or May. That in turn influences whether lodging anywhere near the NS is viable for diving.

Best advice I can give you is to call Gabe at Kaimana Divers and tell him when you're on island, what you're looking to do both in terms of lodging and diving, and see what he suggests. Even if you're not going to book with him, he'll be happy to give you solid advice on how to get what you're looking for.

Hi Dr Lecter- We're heading to Oahu the first of April. I was hoping to hit Turtle Bay on the North Shore. Perhaps that will still be too early.
Thank you for the advice. I will contact Gabe at Kaimana Divers.
Happy New Year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom