Looking for a Dive Trip to the Flower Gardens...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See the Lionfish Invitational page on the NOAA site. It is for 2017 but all the relevant info should be the same or similar. Especially see the 2017 Application that will tell you everything you need to know - who is eligible, what you have to provide and what they will provide, what you have to do, how to apply and what it costs.

I did the FG lionfish invitational a few years ago. It's a lot of fun, but I'd definitely recommend a trip out there before you give it a go with a Hawaiian sling in your hands. It's good to understand the conditions you'll be experiencing (and how they can change quickly) and to have a general feel for the layout of the banks prior to task loading.

Whale sharks? Yeah, they show up, but in the 16 or more years I've been booking annual FG trips, I have yet to see one there.

There is plenty of other cool stuff to see though. Find a weekend that works for you and your buddies. Look at the link that Wookie posted & book through whomever has the boat that weekend. Don't plan on shooting anything or expect to see the biggest fish in the oceans, but do look forward to see some world-class diving that's right in our backyard. With the right expectations, you'll have a great time.

I signed up for the March FGB trip aboard the Fling. My first ever dive trip. Excited...

You are more than likely going to get disappointed man, just warning you in advance. Sometimes the go-no go decision is made on the day of departure.

You are more than likely going to get disappointed man, just warning you in advance. Sometimes the go-no go decision is made on the day of departure.

It's usually made on departure day just before noon. Sometimes it gets canceled a few days early if it's obvious. I've never seen a Go call made early, though. (I've worked on the Fling last 5-6 years)

In 13 years I have been diving & going to Flower Garden (FG) with Fling Charter every now & then, the rate of a go trip that I have booked with them is about 50%.

I’m thinking of going with them in March too to see some Hammerheads. Still not book it, yet due to an overseas business that may happen in late March. Once that business trip date is confirmed, then I can book the FG trip before going on the business trip.

Cancelled FG trip by the morning of the trip day is not a big of a deal for me since I live about 20 minutes from MV Fling dock.

@Rob Bibber hopefully your trip is a go.

In 13 years I have been diving & going to Flower Garden (FG) with Fling Charter every now & then, the rate of a go trip that I have booked with them is about 50%.

I’m thinking of going with them in March too to see some Hammerheads. Still not book it, yet due to an overseas business that may happen in late March. Once that business trip date is confirmed, then I can book the FG trip before going on the business trip.

Cancelled FG trip by the morning of the trip day is not a big of a deal for me since I live about 20 minutes from MV Fling dock.

@Rob Bibber hopefully your trip is a go.

Thanks. Yeah not a huge deal if it gets cancelled. I'm only 2 hours away in Rockport and I'll get a full refund from the dive shop I booked through. I will be disappointed if it happens because I am looking forward to it but not out anything.

If you do end up going say hi :)

It's usually made on departure day just before noon. Sometimes it gets canceled a few days early if it's obvious. I've never seen a Go call made early, though. (I've worked on the Fling last 5-6 years)

Thanks. I spent 14 years commercial fishing in Maine. I'm familiar with that "go/no go" decision making LOL. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom