Looking for a housing for either the canon A4000 or the canon SD1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff85248

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello all.

I would like to try and take photos underwater. I have two old cameras that I can use.

Canon A4000 is and the Canon SD1200 is.

I am looking for the housings that would work with these cameras. I have learned that the ikelite 6240.12 and ikelite 6240.40 are the housings for these cameras.

Here's my question. Where can I get legacy equipment? Do people sell their old stuff on the web site? What would be a realistic price for this equipment?

I would appreciate any help you can give. Once I get the housings I can consider the proper lights. But the limiting thing here is the housing.

Thanks

Jeff

Housings usually cost more than the camera, so it generally does not make sense to invest in a housing for an old camera. The SD1200 is from 2009, so forget that. The A4000 is from 2012, but from what I can see on the web, it does not shoot in manual. To get nice shots underwater, you will need strobes and you need to shoot manual to block out the ambient light. I see an Ikelite housing for the A4000 on eBay for $320, but if you are on a tight budget, get a high end point and shoot from a few years ago, i.e, Canon S100 or G16 and a housing. Or even a G7X (mark 1). Make sure you can get both the housing and the camera before you buy either.

Housings usually cost more than the camera, so it generally does not make sense to invest in a housing for an old camera. The SD1200 is from 2009, so forget that. The A4000 is from 2012, but from what I can see on the web, it does not shoot in manual. To get nice shots underwater, you will need strobes and you need to shoot manual to block out the ambient light. I see an Ikelite housing for the A4000 on eBay for $320, but if you are on a tight budget, get a high end point and shoot from a few years ago, i.e, Canon S100 or G16 and a housing. Or even a G7X (mark 1). Make sure you can get both the housing and the camera before you buy either.
Thanks,

I saw the same thing on ebay. I asked them to come down in price for legacy equipment and they came down $20.

I was thinking a simple point and shoot like a sealife. What should I expect to pay for a camera, housing, handle/mount and strobe or two strobes? Again, I don't want to do photography at this point, just take few photos.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom