Looking for a replacement BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slw105

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 14 year old Sherwood BCD has broken and is not repairable. I do most of my diving in the Caribbean and am always fighting to meet the 50 pound limit. I am thinking of buying a travel BCD with integrated weights.

Any suggestions or BCD's I should avoid?

We got the Aqualung Zuma and mine was used for (maybe) two trips and there's a pinhole in the bladder somewhere. It's nice they're so light, but I think you may pay for it in not being as sturdy. I don't think I'm rough on my gear (my husband may disagree) - and I certainly didn't treat it any differently than I do my Zena.

My 14 year old Sherwood BCD has broken and is not repairable. I do most of my diving in the Caribbean and am always fighting to meet the 50 pound limit. I am thinking of buying a travel BCD with integrated weights.

Any suggestions or BCD's I should avoid?

Since you’re exploring the purchase of a new BC, you might consider a BP/W with a small wing.

The only reason I say this is not to validate my own choice but rather as a reflection of two of my dive buddies (one Australian and the other French) who have been diving for over 30 years and all over the world. Both recently purchased a BP/W for the first time (one XDeep and the other ScubaPro) and were amazed at the increase in their buoyancy control and trim. Both commented that their only regret was that they wish they had made the switch from a jacket style to a BP/W style BCD sooner in their dive “careers”.

I imagine I sound like a broken record but it’s the seasoned testimony of my two mates that I hope to pass on to you in your decision-making.

Regarding BP/Ws to avoid, I don’t have enough knowledge of all the brands to tell you which ones NOT to get.

If minimum weight is paramount, expect traditional travel BCDs to be a little less durable due to the selection of lighter, thinner materials. Aqualung Zuma and Cressi Travelight are examples.

A more durable but slightly heavier option could be the Aqualung Outlaw and/or Rogue. The placement of the integrated weights back by the bladder does a pretty good job of offsetting the "forward tilt at surface" tendency of back inflation models.

Both recently purchased a BP/W for the first time (one XDeep and the other ScubaPro) and were amazed at the increase in their buoyancy control and trim. Both commented that their only regret was that they wish they had made the switch from a jacket style to a BP/W style BCD sooner in their dive “careers”.

Switching to a BP/W will not automatically improve your skill level as a diver.

Scubapro Hydros Pro is amazing. Easy to pack. Can take weight pockets off altogether if you would like to make it smaller for travel.

It's a shame the hydros is so expensive. You can get the bc or a bp/w and the airplane ticket for your trip.

Switching to a BP/W will not automatically improve your skill level as a diver.

Perhaps not but I think a BP/W allows one to employ existing skills a lot more easily. Both my mates raved about how much easier their control was, the BCD being so much more responsive to diver input. They certainly didn’t give their rigs high marks because of cost (more).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom