Looking for a similar experience in Bonaire to Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all. My buddy and I have dove curacao 5 years in a row and while we absolutely loved our experience, we are looking for a new adventure on Bonaire. We prefer shore diving and the ease of driving from one site to the next in a rental. Enjoy eating dinners out in a casual setting (ex. Sol Food, Trio Penotti) and renting a condo/apartment from VRBO. For reference, we have stayed at Marazul in Curacao. Prefer quiet areas to stay, like West Punt in Curacao. We dove with Go West Diving. We do not need a pool, but prefer ocean access/view. Looking to spend approximately $1000 for accommodation for 1 week.This is where I need help. Has anyone had a similar experience in Curacao and can make any suggestions for Bonaire? I've been scouring the Bonaire forums, but am really looking for a specific experience. Thanks!

I only saw Marazul from the water but we did dive at Gowest at LKH and stayed/dove around Lagun.

You might find that south of the airport in Belnem. There's about 1/2 dozen condo properties waterfront - a couple with on-site dive operations.
$1000 would be tough though.

Nice thing is the 30ish dive sites south of town start there and extend down to the lighthouse area.

Some to look for vrbo - also check their websites as some rent thru agents.

Belmar
Port Bonaire
Lighthouse Point
anything around Punt Vierjant
town is about 5-10 mins. drive north for food. It's real quiet at night.

You almost described Sand Dollar Condos north of town also except they're in a row of dive resorts. They're on Bari Reef, have a Dive Friends shop onsite which gives you tank exchange at their other 5-6 locations.

Just about any rental property, condo, apt, house has a dive package deal also.

Might want to add a couple boat dives though as 26 dive sites are just across the channel at Klein Bonaire. 2 or 3 I thought were among the best.

Check out Sand Dollar, yes in a row of dive resort but never experienced any noise. House reef, Bari, is exceptional, has a small sandy beach area and Dive Friends on site. Restaurant out front, Between 2 buns out front and an ice cream shop to cool down. Slightly out of town but easy to get around. Wish we were there...... Bill

I was at Sunrentals Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments last month. Great location, ocean view and a dive shop from Buddy Dive on site. Very friendly prices and they can arrange a full package for you including apartment, diving and truck.

$1000 for the week is tough, but you can get pretty close. As Renate Scubagirl mentioned, Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments will work Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments - SunRentals Bonaire. Their 2 bedroom units are $145 per night ($1015 per week) before taxes and fees. They’re in walking distance of many restaurants. It’s not the Ritz, but their units are clean and have good views. In the past I’ve stayed in their 1 bedroom penthouse, and a 2 bedroom apartment. They’ve got a dive shop onsite, but their tank fills and availability are sketchy. Another option is Villa Pela Villa Pela - Bonaire Comfort RentalsBonaire Comfort Rentals. I’ve rented this villa twice through Bonaire Comfort Rentals (can probably find it on other sites too). It’s a 3 bedroom villa located on the canal system near Plaza Resort. It rents for $1000 per week before taxes and fees. It’s a nice villa on the water with a pool. It also has a clothes washer. Tropical Divers (the best place on the island to rent tanks imo) is located a block away. It’s located on a quiet street, and is close to restaurants.

Haven't been to Marazul either, we stay at AllWest... SandDollar is not that different, only bigger. I don't know if you can find "as Westpunt" on Bonaire: it's a much smaller island and the distance from Marazul to Sol Food is probably similar to the distance from Sand Dollar to any downtown restaurant.

I have stayed at both Marazul and All West. I think the most similar type of lodging would be found at Hamlet Oasis(Accomodation Bonaire Apartments: Holiday Rentals, Diving Bonaire Vacation Home). Disclaimer: I have not stayed there, however when diving Bonaire in Feb., I toured the property during surface interval at their dive site. SandDollar would be similar as well. I would consider booking at either place, but have been happy staying walking distance into town at unit in Playa Lechi or the more economical property of Bonaire Seaside Apartments(http://www.bonaireseasideapartments.com/).

If you want a place that is just nice to be, I second the comments above about Sand Dollar. It has a great waterfront, perhaps the longest of any resort on the island. Of course I'm biased being an owner there. All I can say is that when units become available, they sell pretty darn quickly. Dive Friends is on site and has a retail shop just across the street. There is a swimming pool on site that nobody uses, two decent restaurants, molly millers, dusky blennies, goldline blennies, hairy blennies and stippled clingfish in 2 ft of water along the shore plus all the goodies including spotted, goldentail, green, purplemouth, viper and chestnut morays, turtles and tarpon, among many others (most fish species ID'd in one location in the Caribbean) out on Bari Reef.

Aqua View is Oceanfront at the North end of the boulevard where you can easily walk into town. On the 3rd floor with ocean views, walk out and shore dive, and we offer discounts on Dive packages at Dive Friends. The cost depends when you want to book, we're currently offering $99 per night for any available dates remaining in 2018. Home - Aqua View Oceanfront Vacation Rental

We stay at Marazul in Curacao. In Bonaire we stay here: Beachcomber Villas It's not exactly the same, but has similar amenities with the addition of very nice onsite owners/hosts to share sunsets :). BCV has a better setup for handling dive gear. We enjoy both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom