Looking for a yak review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedude1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Clermont, Florida (Just left of center on the penn
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw at Divers Direct a boat called a "Dive Yak", an inflatable type. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've never done yak diving and I'm looking for a good way to get into it, and an inflatable seems the best bet for me for logistical reasons.

I have not used one, but I know many people who own them. Most of them have never used theirs. The few who have, use them once and don't bother again. Maybe some other folks will chime in with a better experience.

Inflatables do not track well. Great idea! Too bad they do not function as well as a plastic kayak. Not sure what kind of car you drive or where you can store a plastic kayak, but you can start watching places like ebay and craigslist for racks, and a used kayak.

I have never used an inflatable. I have a Cobra Fish/Dive. It is very stable & easy to get back into. I don't know what your logistical issues are but I (knock on wood) have never flipped mine.
And I have been out on my share of bumpy days. It weighs 52 lbs. & can be somewhat bulky getting it to & from the water but, I'm a little old lady & I manage to get where I want to go.

I used to use a Mainstream Tropic plastic sit on top kayak. It was about 9 feet long and pretty easy to store compared to most other kayaks. Not sure if this is too big for you to store or not. I never tried using it for scuba, only freediving and kayak surfing, but it may be possible. It would be very tight though. Its been about 5 years since I last used it but I remember that for a small kayak I liked it much better than many of the other smaller ones. It might be hard to find these though because I don't think they make them anymore.

It's true that the inflatables are a bit harder to paddle and don't track as well as plastic ones but as long as you are not paddling too far I would not let that stop you if that becomes your only option.

Good luck.
-Chris

2204324215_11a171f92b.jpg
I saw at Divers Direct a boat called a "Dive Yak", an inflatable type. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've never done yak diving and I'm looking for a good way to get into it, and an inflatable seems the best bet for me for logistical reasons.

REVIEW - Sevylor ST5696 "DiveYak" :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Monday I bought a Sevylor ST5696. That is the single seater version of the DiveYak. I tried it for the first time this morning. I did not dive with it but I did a little snorkeling with it after paddling around Peanut Island (IntraCoastal Waterway, Palm Beach County) in less than optimal weather conditions.

Before I give my opinion, note that I have never paddled a plastic kayak but I have been paddling canoes since I was about six.

Opinion: The DiveYak is NOT better than sex. But it's pretty damn good. It's a ton of fun.

Center of gravity is pretty high, compared to many plastic boats; it is truly a "sit-on-top" kayak. That may explain why paddling this inflatable feels natural, not difficult at all, despite its width. The DiveYak is stable enough that I can stand up on it and survey the seascape in calm waters without much difficulty (yes, I know I'm not supposed to do that. I was just testing the capability of the boat). Because the craft was so stable, entering and exiting the water with snorkeling gear was a snap. I should be able to enter and exit with dive gear without much trouble.

The DiveYak is not perfect though. Even with three skegs (little keels) tracking is not great; you do have to pay attention. But tracking is good enough to get the job done. Wind/white caps around the south side of Peanut Island made paddling challenging but I had no concerns about tipping. Smashing through/over the little waves was actually fun and a good workout.

Inflating the boat takes 3-5 minutes of pumping with the manufacturer-supplied foot pump. I can understand why some people buy a beefier pump, but I'm happy with this one. It packs neatly in a pocket on the back rest.

Careful planning went into the design and manufacture of the product. The canvas cover seems pretty close to bullet-proof. In fact, there is no skimping on material quality anywhere in the product. There were some judgement calls about the style of buckles but I can't complain (okay, I bought two boats, from different model years, so I have a basis for comparison). The location of fixtures--D rings, built-in bungees, etc--is well thought out.

Sevylor did not include a needed bow leash ($22 ?), an anchor, a GPS, or a kayak-sized canine. Sevylor had to draw a line somewhere.

No, the DiveYak is not as good as a rigid plastic kayak. It is probably slower and does not track as well. It lacks internal storage. Note that I'm average size and medium build (5'10", 158 lbs) and I'm in good shape; a larger person or one without a lot of upper body strength might not like the DiveYak as much as I did. No one would want to paddle this baby for ten miles. But it is not designed for long excursions. It's designed for dive kayaking within a limited paddling range. And it does that job well!

Brad Flecke

Nice Review bradxb

Nice Review bradxb

Between girlfriends. I have time on my hands. lol

Thanks, dkramer. You're a teacher? I DID go back and fix the grammatical errors. Really! Look!

Between girlfriends. I have time on my hands. lol

Thanks, dkramer. You're a teacher? I DID go back and fix the grammatical errors. Really! Look!

I wasn't looking for errors. I'm a P.E. teacher anyway.:D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom